Chapter 21

As we finally pulled into the parking lot, my wrists tingled. The bracelets hummed and buzzed noticeably now.

I didn't feel my powers recede when Ashley activated their function. Somehow, my powers had managed to stay with me, and the bracelets were probably working extra hard to keep up.

Most of the cars were missing, and I no longer had to wonder where the agents who operated here slept. They all went back home after a long day's work.

Ashley and I entered the facility the same way we left.

As we came in, she said, "It's not to late to get dinner, if you want some."

"You're not coming?" I asked.

"I am," she confirmed for me. "But we have to split. I'm going with Ben."

Her unspoken words hung heavily in the air.

"Oh, sorry," I said. I hurried to separate myself from her, turning a corner to take the longer way to the dining hall.

"Uh, yeah," she muttered, her voice laden with guilt.

The funny thing was, I saw passed by Ben outside the doors to the dining hall.

I flashed him an apologetic smile, but he scowled in return. Still holding a grudge.

It was so late that place was pretty much empty besides one lone person, who sat in the darkest corner where no one could see him.

I grabbed my food and thanked the lunch ladies courteously. One gave me a valuable piece of advice in exchange for my kindness.

"You better hurry. Curfew's coming up," she said.

I wasn't surprised. This was an important government facility, and it housed the most dangerous person on the planet right now. Jeremiah couldn't allow Zero to slip out while he was getting shut-eye.

I thanked the woman again and chose to eat my food in my room. I expected to pass my trainer and Ben again on my way.

To my relief, I didn't catch anyone on my route. There was an almost suspicious amount of people missing. Was there no skeleton crew? Surely, the lunch ladies couldn't hold down the fort by themselves.

I reminded myself that the less people there were, the better opportunity I had to check out the ventilation system for a way down to Zero's cell.

And with that, I knew what to do the second I came into my room.

It was highly likely that the door would close on its own because I couldn't do it from either side of the doorway. There was a small slit for it to pass through, as it was an automatic door, so I let it be, grabbing a pencil and paper so I could sketch out the path I was taking.

I sat in front in my bed, tapping my foot impatiently. I was feeling stuffed after my meal. I looked at the remains of what I couldn't finish in the garbage next to the entryway.

It was almost ten at night. When were they going to-

Suddenly, my door slid closed silently and quickly.

The lights dimmed a few moments later, barely illuminating the small space.

"Curfew mode initiated," the same female voice said quietly overhead.

I pulled on the door to make sure it wasn't possible to open. Then, feeling secure, I examined the grate that covered the wall.

Four screws supported it at the corners. After I tested them, I realized I would need a screwdriver or my electricity ability to unscrew them.