Chapter 32

A stronger host, preferably one with a weak will. Jeremiah. I smacked my forehead. He, me, and Ben were the only possible candidates in the immediate area. Jeremiah would have plenty of experience and an impossibly strong telekinetic ability.

But how did Di-Men take over him? I would've seen it happen, right?

"Stop thinking. Attack now, before he can use his abilities on you!" Jay shouted in my head.

He was ordering my body to move forward, but I wanted to move back to protect Ashley. We were frozen in place, unable to move anywhere.

Jeremiah was bent into a fetal position, black fire surrounding him. He hopped out of the back of the car, landing farther in the street than he should have gone.

Ben began to grow, turning green, his bones cracking, muscles expanding. He looked at me.

"You need to get Ashley to safety," he growled.

Still frozen, I couldn't even nod.

"We have to work together," I realized. "You can't make us both do something."

"No, we need to merge," he said.

If he meant what I thought he did, I wasn't melding my mind to his. I still didn't trust him.

"Never. Now take the backseat." I pushed him out of the forefront of my mind where he had settled to try to take over. He retreated without fighting back, respecting my authority.

I took a deep breath just as Jeremiah raised his hand to attack.

An unseeable force launched me high into the air along with Metagor and Ashley, pushing us backward simultaneously. I didn't see it coming.

I looked to my side, reaction time multiplying every second as my reflexes kicked in. I made the decision quickly.

I gained control over my flight and dived toward Ashley, who was plummeting to the ground. Wrapping my arms around her body, I hit the ground hard. But I was prepared for it and was soon kicking it past Jeremiah, who probably couldn't even see me.

I knew if Metagor hit the ground, he would be okay, too. Even if he couldn't fly.

I could only hear my breathing as I sped away from the scene, making sure Ashley was okay. Her eyes remained shut tightly, and she didn't even try to speak. Her arms were wrapped around my neck, hanging on for dear life.

I altered my course and ran up the side of a building so I could get away from the cars in the streets. I jumped from rooftop to rooftop without slowing.

Touching the ground one final time, I put Ashley down at my front door. She opened her eyes when she became aware of the fact that we weren't moving.

Leaning on the doorframe, she tried to settle her churning stomach and disoriented mind. "Go..." she said.

I took a step to leave but decided to turn back. She didn't look too good.

"Ashley, I'll get them both back," I promised, looking her in the eye. "Whatever it takes."

She shook her head, unable to respond.

I knocked on the door. Three heavy ones that would awake anyone inside should they be sleeping or out of earshot.

Then, I took off back to the highway.