Chapter 6

I pushed that conversation to the back of my head and tried to focus on the current problem.

Moving fast, I ran straight down the street, up a building, and down the other side to reach Ms. Loving.

Unfortunately, I hadn't seen the hundreds of rock monsters that stood between me and my target.

I sped up and charged my fists with enough lightning to challenge Thor.

I plunged into the mass of them, throwing out my hands with enough force to send them crashing through windows and into hard brick walls. I made a path all the way to the big bad.

I stopped when I came close enough to her that the heat began to sear my eyebrows off. Her attention was still on Sierra, who was trying to give Cassie time to put up her shield.

"Over here!" I shouted. Ms. Loving was too distracted to hear me.

I aimed a lightning bolt at one of her hands and released the charged energy.

It connected with better results than I had anticipated. The rock crumpled, and all that was left was a ball of fire that zoomed back towards the main body.

Ms. Loving froze. Then, two fiery holes that looked like eyes switched around and focused on me.

"Uh-oh," I said.

"What did you do?"

Sierra yelled down as she scooped me up by the arms and flew us away. Ms. Loving roared behind us.

I let go of one her hands and added my flight power to hers so we could travel side by side.

"Improvising," I said.

"Well, you're improvising in the wrong direction, dumbass," she said.

I slapped myself in the forehead with my left hand.

"What now, then?"

"We turn around."

"I'm not fireproof," I reminded her.

"So?"

She veered up and backwards, aiming to circle over Ms. Loving. But she predicted the move and flew up to intercept us. She would succeed if we didn't speed up.

"Sierra..." I warned.

"Working on it!" she shouted.

Ms. Loving was almost upon us. Who knew teachers could be so terrifying?

I could feel the skin beginning to peel on my arms. We weren't going to make it.

I closed my open hand and brought it to my chest.

I heard an indescribable sound, and a shimmering field of blue energy surrounded us, protecting us from the vicious heat until we made it through to the other side.

I held it as long as I could before collapsing in midair. The strain of maintaining one that size was immense.

Even as Ms. Loving screeched behind us, Sierra exhaled as she realized we made it. (She was mostly worried for me, the non-fireproof one.)