Chapter 21 - Brainstorm

LEWIS

Every year since I moved to Lonstino, I look forward to this moment. I spend months thinking about what I want to create next for the holidays. Sometimes it's something totally new, others are a classic with a twist. When Greg introduced me to Charlie when I moved here, he told me that besides the bread he sells, there wasn't a bakery in the area. Anyone looking for a cake had to go to the supermarket or another town to find one. 

I was tempted to change my plans and start a bakery instead, but my candy was selling so well in Greenwood that I wondered if it would be the same somewhere else. I wasn't wrong in my assumptions and business has been steady since I opened Candy Pier, but I do miss making other types of pastries and cakes. I just don't have the space to display a larger inventory than the few selections I offer at the market. Charlie saw my struggle and offered to sell whatever I wanted to make for the holidays and I've been so grateful for his support ever since.

This support has not been limited to my profession and business. When Hannah abandoned us, besides Greg, Charlie was the next one to appear at my doorstep to offer me help. Everybody was concerned about Luke and Michael since they were only babies, but Charlie noticed that I wasn't only heartbroken, I was lonely. He came by the store to chat or bring me food, and at the beginning we talked about trivial things like the weather or sports. He respected my privacy and when I felt comfortable enough I opened my heart about everything that Hannah did to us. I knew he wouldn't judge me. A man becoming the victim of domestic abuse is rarely taken seriously, but he did. He hugged me with brotherly affection and I welcomed it in the same way that Ximena did while at the fairgrounds. The small gesture meant a lot in those moments where I needed it the most.

"Fucking hell! Where did all these people come from?" Charlie says as he places a cup of coffee in front of me and takes a seat. "I was planning to finish earlier, but they just kept coming in. Must be the weather. It's finally beautiful here while everywhere else is cold. You wouldn't believe that fall is around the corner with this sunny sky. How are you doing?"

"Good, I guess." I answer.

"Nothing new happening?"

Charlie's question has a double meaning and it doesn't surprise me as that seems to be in the DNA of the people in this town.

"The boys are a bit more open to affection. I guess Ximena broke the ice with them and it has helped. We seem to communicate better and they are less difficult."

"Ximena... You guys seem to get along well."

A chuckle leaves my mouth at his insinuation. "Charlie, you know what I've been through. I need stability and even though Ximena is a wonderful woman, we all know that her stay is only temporary."

"Unless she finds a reason to stay," he says, pulling the pastry box towards him.

"And that reason won't be me, so let's talk about food."

Charlie gives me a look of disbelief and smiles while grabbing a fork.

"I decided to bring back two of the pastries from last year, that is the apple-pumpkin strudel and the pinwheels with plum jam. Those sold every day in no time and chances are people will come back asking for them."

Charlie nods and moans after taking a bite. "I forgot how good these are. Every day I secretly hoped we had leftovers, but it was never the case."

"Then I have two propositions for the third pastry. I have here a cannoli with chocolate cream topped with caramelized walnuts, and this one here is puffed pastry filled with guava paste and farm cheese, dusted with powdered sugar. Because there's some winter spices mixed in the dough, I found it fits the season."