Chapter Seventeen

Aubrey was wearing a sparkling white dress that faded to blue near the bottom. She sauntered passed me, unaware I was right behind her.

"Aubrey!" I called, grabbing her upper arm. She spun around, her eyes wide. "I've been looking for you everywhere."

Was I imagining the flash of fear in her eyes? "Sabrina, I need to tell you something." It was hard to hear her over the music, but I nodded and dragged her into the hallway. I glanced around at the people milling about.

Aubrey grabbed my hand. "Follow me. I, um, need you to meet some of my friends. I invited them. I hope you don't mind."

I halted. "Wait. I see Kieran. Can he come, or is it something we need to discuss alone?"

Aubrey looked torn. She glanced over my shoulder at Kieran, then called his name. Kieran turned towards us, grinning when he saw us. He hurried over.

"Hey, Aubrey," he greeted.

Aubrey tried to smile, but it was more of a grimace. She led us down a few corridors, away from the party. One of the maids narrowed her eyes as she saw me sneaking off with my two friends, but said nothing.

I tilted my head as a redhead came into view. She looked kind of familiar, but I hadn't seen her before. The boy next to her gave me pause. Kieran grabbed my wrist, yanking me to a stop.

"Hey, Kieran," the redhead greeted.

"Samantha?" Kieran's voice was barely audible. The next part was a snarl. "What are you doing here?"

My heart sunk. If she was Sam, then the boy next to her was probably Kit. The look I gave Aubrey was filled with shock. "How do you know-"

"Wow, Sabrina," Kit said. "Nice dress. It matches Kieran's suit. How adorable."

The feeling in my chest took me back to the alleyway, the day Coldfront had shot those two men. I snapped out of it when I dug my nails into my palms. Instinctively, I took a step back.

Aubrey took a deep breath. "Look, Sabrina. I-I just..."

She didn't even have to say it. I already understood, and the realization broke me. I shook my head, feeling tears well in my eyes. "Aubrey, why didn't you tell me?"

"You know?" Aubrey asked softly. "Sabrina, I didn't want to lie to you. I swear! I just didn't know how to tell you that I was-"

"That you are Aphrodite," I corrected. I clenched my fists, feeling my nails sink into my palms, but the physical pain let the revelation hurt a little less.

Aubrey shook her head, ready to burst into tears. "Sabrina, please, just let me explain."

I started to shake my head when Kit placed a hand on my shoulder. "Sabrina, she doesn't know about you or Kieran."

I tilted my head, the tight pain in my chest starting to lessen. "You don't know?"

"Know what?" Aubrey whispered.

While I was speechless, Kieran muttered, "We're Head Rush and Blue Blur."

Aubrey blinked back her tears, confusion filling her eyes. "Wait, what?"

I sighed softly. Aubrey looked like she had just seen a ghost. She leaned against Samantha for support. Samantha kept her eyes downcast, never looking up. Kit almost looked guilty, while Kieran looked tired and pissed.

"Hey, everyone!" Devin called, clamping a hand down on my shoulder as he approached. "What's with the glum-Oh. I guess all the secrets are out, huh?"