Chapter Eight

I entered the bank through the front entrance. There was a little hall off to the side that led to the bathrooms which I darted to before I could be seen. I peered over the corner and observed the scene before me.

An uncomfortable feeling settled in my chest. I fought the urge to laugh as I stared down my opponents. They were the last thing I had expected. There were two guys and one girl, all dressed in brightly colored, feathered costumes adorned with bird masks. Instead of capes, they sported wings. The girl was dressed in a hot pink that gave me a headache while the boys were dressed in orange and blue.

I grit my teeth, suddenly unsure if I should wait for backup. I had no clue if these robbers were supers, but they had guns and hostages. I glanced at a girl bagging up money for them. She was shaking and sobbing but wasn't injured. Yet.

Someone tapped my shoulder. My whole body felt like it had been plunged in ice water as I whirled around. An uppercut was sent to my jaw. I fell to the floor and fought the urge to shout profanities at the offender.

Icy blue eyes stared down at me. I instantly recognized the super as Aphrodite, mainly because of her costume that exposed dark, smooth skin. Her hair fell in tight curls that reached her shoulders.

I remember wondering what her skincare routine was. I pushed the thought far out of my mind as Aphrodite grabbed my leg and dragged me closer to the bathroom. She shushed me as soon as we were out of earshot. I jumped up and took a step back to put some distance between us.

"I'm not here with these clowns," was the first thing she said to me.

I narrowed my eyes. "You're not? Then why'd you punch me?"

Aphrodite shrugged. "I just felt like it. I'm a burglar, not a robber."

I rolled my eyes before throwing a punch at her. She caught my wrist as my fist made impact with her stomach. Her furious eyes met mine and for a split second I wondered if she was going to retaliate.

"Calm down," Aphrodite instructed me.

My head cleared against my will. I felt no need to continue my attack. The villain clearly had something to say and hadn't tried to murder me yet.

I pursed my lips, recalling when Aubrey told me about Aphrodite. She could manipulate emotions, and at that moment mine were being manipulated.

"Why are you here?" I finally asked. I tilted my head slightly and crossed my arms as I eyed Aphrodite.

"I needed to talk to you," Aphrodite said. She chuckled. "Don't worry, I don't want an autograph."

I glanced behind my shoulder. "I have a job to do."

"I want to make a deal," Aphrodite told me as I turned away. I stopped and looked back at her. What the hell was with villains making deals with me? Was I that easy to bargain with? "I'll help you take down these freaks if you don't try to stop me anytime I need to get money."

She still had a hold over my emotions. I could feel them shifting into giddiness even without her verbally telling me how I felt. I took a deep breath, trying to shake off the hold she had on me.

"No deal. My team will be here soon. I don't need help from a criminal."

Aphrodite glared at me. There was a sharp spike in my emotions. I felt desperate. I needed her help. Green Light wasn't here with me. I was nothing without Green Light. I would mess up. People would get hurt.

Aphrodite's lips turned up into a smile. "How about that deal?"

"Please help me!" I begged. "I'll take the deal."