Chapter Thirteen

*Natalia Mendoza*

I sat on the hood of my car, inspecting my nails as if nothing was wrong. Inside, I was imagining every single possible way to torture Katherine without killing her. Mark reported everything she said back to me, only adding fuel to the burning fury I felt in my chest.

Mark was the only person I had bothered to bring with me on my little trip to Katherine's. He was the only super I met that I could stand. Having a bodyguard with enhanced strength and hearing was quite useful, so that was just another reason to have him by my side instead of in Iron Labs.

"They're leaving," Mark informed me.

Night was here. It was obvious when we pulled into the driveway. Katherine usually had two members from her security team outside at all times.

There was a streak of blue that disappeared as soon as I blinked in the corner of my vision. I pursed my lips and dug my nails into my palms before nodding at the front door.

My eyes scanned over the halls, landing on the bodies of Katherine's unconscious security team littering the floor. I turned through a corridor when Katherine ran into me.

I crossed my arms, smirking to hide my sneer. Out of everyone, I couldn't believe she betrayed me. I was too naïve.

Katherine was a stuttering mess. "N-Natalia! Night broke in, and-"

I took a deep breath, barely able to refrain from strangling her. "Save it. I know exactly what happened, thanks to Mark. Now, do you have anything to say for yourself before I kill you?"

Katherine dropped down to her knees. Mark walked behind her as she started pleading. "I was just saying that to make them back off! You know me, Natalia. I would never, ever betray you."

She was right. I did know her well enough to know this; if Katherine was innocent, she wouldn't be begging.

I tilted my head as I thought over what Mark told me. "How do you think Blue Blur had enough money to pay off the judges? Was she bluffing, or is she wealthy enough to do that? I was paying those judges pretty well."

"M-Maybe we could find out at Robert Flynn's party. If Blue Blur is telling the truth, she might be there."

I smiled. "Katherine, that's a great idea. That party is coming up soon, too."

Katherine nodded, a nervous gleam still in her eyes. I held out my hand. As soon as her fingers met mine, Mark kicked the back of her head. She dropped to the ground, looking lifeless.

"She's still breathing," Mark assured me as he checked her pulse.

I put my platinum blonde hair up into a bun as Mark carried Katherine out to the car. Making my way into Katherine's office, I searched through all the files until I found what I was looking for. She must have hired a private investigator to trail me.

What a bitch.

I threw the file to the ground and walked back outside and opened the car door. As I slid into the passenger seat, rage overtook me. I started beating my fists along the dashboard, screaming and hoping the airbag wouldn't go off.

Mark was silent until we reached the end of the road leading away from Katherine's estate. "Do you want me to-"

"Hand me the phone." I quickly dialed the number and waited a few moments. The sound of the explosion going off made me tense. I glanced in the rearview mirror, able to see Katherine's estate in flames.

I shook my head. Katherine was getting it too easy. I had a weak spot for her, I suppose. But even if I had a weak spot for her, she still broke my trust and stabbed me in the back. I couldn't let her get away without consequence.

***

I changed into white pants and a blue blouse when I arrived at the lab. Everything about the lab seemed artificial, and I loved it. The only thing I detested was the smell of harsh chemicals that had attempted to be covered up with lemon air freshener.

A short, chubby man hurried into the elevator with me as we descended to the basement floor. Stepping out of the elevator, I entered the passcode for the door before walking inside.

"M-Miss Mendoza, I found the address from the twins-"

I paused to glare. He should've known to give it to Mark. As he tried to continue, I waved my hand and silenced the idiot. He paled and hurried away from me.

I continued my path down the hall until I reached Katherine's cell. I stopped in front of the window, happy she was already waking up.

"Get lost," I snarled at the scientists milling around. They hurried away, followed by two members of the security team.

Katherine jumped when she woke up. She saw me and ran to the window, slamming her hands against the glass. "Where the hell am I, Natalia?"

"You know where," I seethed, pushing ice into my tone. This was all her fault. She ruined our partnership, and yet she was treating me like the bad guy.

"I'm not even a super!" she shouted. "I don't belong here!"

Ever since the chemical spill, I had been funding the lab to research supers. Some were willing test subjects, and some were taken off the streets. The twins, Silver and Gold, were volunteers when they first developed their powers until they found out I essentially ran the place.

I paused, trying to recall their names. Sky and Vera Fisher, if I wasn't mistaken.

"You can't do this to me!" Katherine cried. "I have family. Carlene will-We're suppose to be friends, Natalia!"

"You betrayed me," I spat. "Enough is enough, Katherine. I can handle Carlene, or Evan, or Devin, and let's not forget Kate. What are any of them going to do? Huh? That's right. Nothing."

Katherine choked down a sob and slid to the floor. I shook my head and walked back to the elevator.

***

I looked around the outside of the house in disgust before knocking lightly on the door.

Vera, I guessed from the gold contacts still in, answered the door. Her bright eyes contrasted everything about her. She looked tired, sick, and worn down. Meanwhile, Sky looked the complete opposite. Her eyes were tired while she radiated health and beauty.

I waited for the moment they recognized me before speaking. "You two are going to take a trip out of Iron Beach for a while. Does anything more have to be said, or are we on the same page?"

Vera managed to nod while Sky fell down from how hard she was shaking.

I clapped my hands together. "Amazing! If you're still in the city by noon tomorrow, I'll have you and the rest of your family killed. Travel light, Silver and Gold."

Their names made me want to listen to that stupid Christmas song.

I turned and walked back to the car. When I got in, I turned to Mark with a scowl and ordered, "Drive. We've got work to do."