Day 22

Dick was going upstairs to get Damian to come down to get some lunch. He knocked, then opened the ex-assassin's bedroom door, and walked right on in.

"Lil' D?" he called out, seeing the younger boy sitting in the corner of his room, his hoodie pulled over his head. Alfred the cat was curled up at his feet, and since Damian's face was covered, Dick couldn't make out his expression, but he seemed to be upset.

Dick frowned. "Damian? You alright?"  he walked over and placed a hand on his shoulder.

Damian nudged Dick's hand off. "Tt.  Of course," he mumbled, though his tone seemed a little off. 

"You sure? Because you don't look alright to me."

Damian raised his head and looked at Dick. He was frowning, and wouldn't quite meet Dick in the eyes.  "It's...Nothing..."

Dick crouched down, so he was at Damian's level. "Hey, remember what I told you a little over a year ago? I'm always here for you. And just because some time has passed doesn't change that."

Damian glanced down at his cat. He was silent for a minute, but then sniffed. "It's my first Christmas with Father."

Dick raised an eyebrow, not sure if he was following. Luckily though, Damian elaborated.

"It's been...Different this year with him...And with Drake and Todd as well...Before, it was just you, me, and Pennyworth. And-"

Dick sighed. "And you miss that, don't you?" He never really thought about how Damian hadn't spent Christmas with Bruce before, or any of the others. Dick was just so used to it from years prior, that he hadn't given it much thought.

Dick leaned against the wall, now side to side with Damian. "Yeah, it's different. And I know they don't have the same traditions as us, but I bet you'll still like it just the same." He paused, and smiled.  "And Titus is with us this year too. We should go to the pet store and get him a special bone or something. Ooh!  We could get him one of those dog sweaters!"

A faint smile rugged at the corners of Damian's lips. "Tt.  Don't be ridiculous, Grayson. Titus would not do something as disgraceful as wearing a Christmas sweater."

Without really meaning to, Damian leaned his head in Dick's shoulder.  "I'm just not used to everyone else's holiday customs... It's a lot different than it is with just us... And so much has already changed."

Dick ruffled Damian's hair and wrapped his arm around the younger boy. "Any traditions of ours that they leave out, we'll just do on our own, how about that? And I'll stay up all Christmas Eve night to watch more cheesy Christmas movies with you. Personally, that's a favorite tradition of mine.  All I ask is that you give everything new to you a chance."

Damian smiled. "Deal."