breaking point (request)

Start from the beginning

Just like that, the maids call for Tommy, telling them that our guests have arrived. We hold hands, Tommy welcomes mum and Jade first. He's nervous, I can see it. But they are so solemn it's maddening.

We head towards the dining room slowly, Mum and Jade both in awe of the home we share.

"Oh," my sister says, "I totally understand why you've dropped out of university now. You'll be living off of him huh?"

"Not even a second in our home and you're already being a bitch." I note.

"Our?" She giggles. "Jesus, you already claimed her?" She looks at Tommy who looks at me.

"Now now, Jade." Mum starts. "Why don't we sit down and have dinner before we chat with your little sister and her......friend."

"He's not my friend he's my-"

"With all due respect, your daughter and I are love," Thomas states.

They don't respond and my face burns with embarrassment.

At the dinner table, we have our meals. "The townspeople tell me that you have children."

I cut into my meal, watching her. Wondering where she'll go with this, I kind of just watch her, hoping she'll stop.

Thomas shifts uncomfortably in his seat. "I do, a boy and a girl."

"Only two?" She laughs. "You must have loads more, I mean, I hear nearly everyone in Birmingham has gotten a piece of you."

"Jade-" I snap.

"I'm just being honest." She shrugs. "The food is divine though. I must say."

"Mr. Shelby," my mother clears her throat. "My daughter had a clean record before meeting you-"

"Mum." I whisper.

"My daughter has never gotten into trouble at school or at home but ever since she has been with you she has been getting into very deep trouble. I mean, damaging to her and our family name. She has an attempted murder charge-"

"Jesus." I roll my eyes. "Damaging to the family name, mum? Really? Are you fucking kidding me?"

Jade gasps and mum drops her tableware. Thomas squeezes my thigh from under the table. I need more snow. I can somehow feel my heart beat in my stomach and fingers. I am burning inside.

"I didn't raise you to be foul mouthed." Mum's eyes are wide and she's frozen.

I instantly sigh. "I'm sorry but-"

"But what?" Jade asks from across the table. "What right do you have to excuse the way you speak to your own mother?!"

My hands are in my hair. "I didn't mean it, I'm sorry."

"You're sorry?! You're not sorry, y/n. When mum hears that you were frolicking around with that low life, you're sorry. When you scream at her, you're sorry. What else! What happens when you end up dead? Huh? Will you be sorry then?!"

"Don't speak about Tommy like that,"

"You're pathetic, you know that?" She laughs, shaking her head. "Bet ya any money he'll get one of his boys to cut me a smile just to send me the message that I shouldn't be so rude," she shakes her head.

"I would never do anything to hurt your daughter," Tommy suggests, but even that doesn't sound promising.

"That's not the truth. The truth is that my daughter looks unwell, she looks sick and pale. She's lost weight, too much if you ask me. And I can't help but see that she rubs her nose far too many times to not tell me she's not high on a drug."

Fuck.

"Jesus." I roll my eyes, "You should try some, I promise mum, it'll get you off of your fucking high horse."

"Y/N!" My mother shouts.

Thomas looks at me, appalled. "Stop." He whispers. He squeezes my fingers. "What are you doing?"

My sister sniffles and when I look at her, she had tears running down her face. I freeze for a moment, watching her in shock. I've never seen my sister cry, let alone

"You will die!" My sister shouts, "This is not a good life, the glamour of it all is a facade you fucking idiot!"

"You don't know anything!" I snap at her.

She gets up, her glass of wine spills over the table. Mum breaks down, Tommy stays seated, shocked.

"I know enough to know that man will have you killed!" She hisses. "You were raised better than this. Mum didn't raise an idiot." Her teeth chatters. "I hate that you're blinded by this man, I hate that you're here and not at home. I hate that I get this sick feeling like you're wilting away! Like your time on this earth will be cut short very soon!"

"Jesus, will you stop! Do you hear yourself?" I scream, tears running down my face. "I'm happy!"

She shouts. "What happened to his first wife?"

"Jade, please." I whisper, putting a hand out.

"Grace is dead because of him, and his second wife? Well she killed herself because he met you, an innocent student. Don't you get it," My sister continues hurt me. "You'll end up like them."

Mum sobs uncontrollably. My fingers burn with the thought of wrapping my arms around her. I want to hold her, I should hold her. She deserves to be held.

"Get out!" I scream instead. "Now!"

My mum gasps, my heart pangs. "Excuse me?"

"Out!" I continue. "You shouldn't have come at all, especially if you were going to berate me."

Thomas says my name, but I ignore him.

"Get the fuck out and don't ever come back. I don't want to see the both of you again." I whisper and sniffle, turning to Tommy, I continue. "I'm going upstairs."

When Tommy was upstairs, I broke down in his arms. Not because I felt bad for what I said, but because I knew my sister and mum were right. Something awful could happen to me at anytime. And despite my happiness, and undeniable love I have for Tommy, something much stronger tells me that this is a mistake.

I know the anonymous person probably expected something a bit more dramatic and angsty but there was nothing I thought was more corrupt than a good girl gone bad by the point of view of her family. Hope you loved it, because I really liked writing this.