Her

The grand ball is the grandest event I'd ever seen in my entire seventeen years of age.

Chandeliers, overflowing with sparkling diamonds and literally dripping pure gold, hang elegantly from the ceiling which are at least seventy feet tall.

The entire room is decorated lavishly with silk banners, with expensive tapestries covering every exposed inch of the gold-dusted walls.

Better than all that, there's an impressive ten tier cake that sits atop of a mountain of gourmet dishes that looks like I'd have to sell off my house just to purchase a single dish.

Men that reek of overpriced cologne and women whose faces are caked with makeup dance gracefully across the ball room, their carefully practiced routine nothing short of absolute perfection.

When I look for V, I see him talking with the queen and king. He looks casual and comfortable, but I can see right through his act.

He really wants to get out of there, doesn't he?

Ignoring him forcefully, I head to the rows and rows of tables layered with food, drinks, and even more food. As I get closer to the delicacies with every step I take, the more the bounce in my walk increases. There are exotic dishes from all around the world, from puréed shrimp to caviar ice cream, which pretty much disgusts me.

People would be absolute idiots if they were crazy enough to put caviar and ice cream together.

I stay well away from the wide selection of wines and beers, not just because I'm underage. I hate the sheer smell of it, and when I even get a few feet close, the stench is enough to make me throw up.

Unfortunately to my liking, the music is strictly classical, which bores me faster than my math teacher back at home. Without anything to do, I just sit down on one of the benches and watch the people make a fool out of themselves.

Then my enhanced senses catch a slight shriek.

It's a young girl, about sixteen or the same age as me.

I immediately whip to my feet, and look to where the small sound of resistance had come from.

In the shadows, there are two figures, one significantly smaller than the other. The smaller figure is struggling in the taller one's grip, but her mouth is clapped shut with a hand.

I don't think, I move.

I know how it feels like to be helpless when I'm about to be violated. I know how the fear overwhelms you, shocking you beyond the point where you can't breathe, you can't think. And you don't have a choice— you simply just let it happen to you.

I'll be the one that stops it this time.

I rush to target the man right below his knee joint, immediately taking away his balance and making him crumple to the ground, groaning at the painful impact.

The girl stares at me with bunny-wide eyes as I wave at her to escape. "I'll give you time. Just go!"

At my words, she nods gratefully and runs off into the crowd, leaving me alone with the wincing man.

Then the wind breaks right next to my ear and I duck just in time, thanking my superior reflexes as the man swings at me again.

To my delight, his movements are clumsy and unskillful. He probably depends on his sheer strength and bulk to corner helpless women.