Kidnap

I throw the wallet up into the air, catching it easily without looking. It became child's play after a while. With my reflexes, I never seem to need my sight to get the job done.

I'm thinking about running to the grocery store when my ears catch a steady light footfall, approximately fifty meters behind me. Southeast, and getting closer. My eyes narrow.

Someone's trailing me.

I know for sure that the person is out for me. Whoever it may be, they have been tracking me constantly for the last three minutes, turning where I turn, going where I go.

I'm starting to feel a little freaked out when the footsteps suddenly grow, from one pair to two.

How did I miss that?

I can tell the person— people, never mind— is very adept at stalking. I wouldn't have caught him in my dreams if my instincts hadn't warned me of his presence.

With my senses up and running, I turn at the end of the sidewalk, where the grocery store is visible at the end. The big letters nailed to the top sparkle bright red, some of them missing from the actual word.

Now instead of MART, it spells MAT.

I tense just the slightest bit as the sound comes again. At first, I'd been about 99% sure if the stalker was really after me, but now I'm positive. And worse, there's a tingling on the back of my head that's multiplying rapidly every second that passes.

That usually means I'm in big trouble.

Like an answer, I catch the soft thud of feet as it lands on the hardened asphalt and lunges at me. The stalker's fingertips barely brush my neck as I duck and dive to the ground, crouching like a lion ready to pounce.

Surprise immediately overtakes me as I scan the person who just tried to stab me with what seems to be a needle.

When my eyes flick to the transparent cylinder, I recognize the greenish color of the fluid inside the syringe.

Chloroform.

He was trying to make me go unconscious, taking away my ability to defend myself.

I hear the wind warning me just in time as I dive to the ground. Three knives that look sharp enough to cut a tree clean sail over the spot where my head had been just a semi second ago. Calculations run through my head, judging by the path and speed of the knives.

Twenty meters. Northwest.

There's more people than one.
The thought makes a chill go up my spine as another row of knives neatly embed themselves inches away from my body.

They're good. They're really good.

I can't confront them. This I know as a cold, hard fact. There's at least three people out to take me down, and only one of me. Fighting them would be out of the question.

So I choose the only sensible option at that point- I run for my life. My legs pump on the sidewalk, and I can only depend on my animal instincts to avoid the knives hurling after me. A fearful question runs through my head, along with a million consequences that could follow if that was true.

What if they're faster than me?

I hold up the wallet reflexively as the wind breaks and crosses ten meters
behind me. The knife aimed for my head drives forcefully into the wallet, and I silently thank my mom she insisted on a thick leather one.

Then everything stops. The knives, the cursing, the footsteps.. they are all silenced so abruptly I'm afraid my senses have given up on me, leaving me to die in the hands of these bloodthirsty killers.

But I'm surprised to know that my senses are working just fine.

Yet I don't see the figure shrouded by shadows and darkness five meters in front of me, someone I should've noticed ten seconds ago. I don't even hear the air making way as a fist appears out of nowhere, slamming into the side of my head.

The ground tilts violently under me as I collapse, the side of my head making brutal contact with the cold sidewalk.

The last thing I see before losing consciousness is a pair of narrowed eyes, painted with a shade darker than the night sky.