25. Morality

Henri woke up feeling refreshed and full of energy. The first thing he did was lean over and kiss the back of Griselda's neck.

'Good morning darling.'

She turned and smiled at him. 'Good morning Henri my love.' They kissed for a while, as blissful as newly weds although it had been ...

One year! thought Henri as he embraced his wife. I must do something special ... but can't let Grissy know. Have to distract her with something simple so she doesn't see the real surprise coming!

'Do you know what day it is beloved?' said Henri with a smile.

The smile was returned and Henri's heart was full to bursting - his wife was beautiful, kind and thoughtful. She had definitely made him a better Apple.

'Of course,' she said. 'I know we said we wouldn't but I thought something small ... I got you that Homberg from the Gentleman's hattiers we visited in the capital, the one you admired. I think it will go splendidly with your hunting tweeds and make you look more handsome than ever.'

'Darling, you shouldn't have!'

She kissed him again. 'I couldn't resist and the real gift will be mine. I shall be the envy of all the ladies with such a handsome husband. The hat will perfectly set off your lovely eyes and splendid new mustache.'

Actually the mustache wasn't so new, thought Henri a bit later as he was shaving and humming a merry ditty to himself. It was simply grown out from his old clipped facial hair, after he had reduced his goatee to a mustache. It was looking splendid though ... curling at the edges by now and bushier by the day. Griselda was right - he did look better with a handlebar.

Soon after, the Baron and Baroness proceeded downstairs, stopping off at the nursery to see the children. Nanny Plumzeit presented the twin babies - now turned two months old, Henri beamed in delight at their small faces. Esmerelda and Luc Henri were ... pardon the pun, the apples of his eye, along with ...

'Father!' greeted his oldest son Jean Pierre as he got up from his drawing. 'Look father, I drew the castle!'

Henri ruffled the lad's hair and admonished him. 'Now now my boy, remember a gentleman is never rude to a lady. You forgot to give the mornings greetings to your step mother.'

Jean Pierre blushed and turned to Griselda. 'I apologize Mama. Good morning.'

Griselda kissed the boy. 'Show us both your drawing darling. Gracious me, it's so detailed ... you know every inch of the estate!'

Henri beamed proudly. 'One day Jean Pierre will be a Lord and run everything along with Luc Henri.'

The boy fell in behind his parents as they proceeded down to breakfast.

Igor stepped up to the family in the grand hall. 'Excuse me my lady, might I have a word with the Master for a few minutes. Shan't detain him long Ma'am.'

Griselda nodded fondly at the old retainer. 'Of course Igor. I am well used to the demands on my husband's time and very very proud of his diplomatic efforts. Finally we have peace with the Oranges; they rightly call you the Peacemaker my love.'

Henri looked away modestly. 'I could not have done it without your support darling Griselda. You have made me a better Apple.' He kissed her hand. 'I shall see you shortly my love. Jean Pierre, mind your mother and remember to properly greet Great Grandmamere and your uncle Wellington.'

When they had gone, Henri turned to his faithful Igor. 'Well done. Discreet as always old friend.'

Igor bowed. 'I received your textual message Sir and have already started working on a huge extravaganza for the celebration. I also took the liberty of setting events into motion months ago, knowing you would call upon me for something special to celebrate the anniversary of your nuptials and to show your love for the Mistress.'

Henri nodded. 'Most satisfactory. Griselda thinks we're just having an intimate day with close friends. I can't wait to see the look on her face when the feast and carnival starts tonight! We have the fireworks, the dancing, the displays ... everyone who is everyone will be here?'

Igor confirmed that all was arranged. So whistling a jaunty tune, he proceeded on to the decoy breakfast. Old and dear friends had been invited and he must be there to greet them all. His beloved grandmother, good old Wellington and even Doctor Mangostein had been invited to the strawberry and champagne breakfast. He owed the scientist a lot ... together they had cracked dimensional travel and reached a score of new universes, reaching out the hand of friendship from the slowly reforming Democratic Apple and Mixed Fruits Parliament.

Change! That was the order of the day and Henri was still petitioning tirelessly for more inclusion for vegetables in the new multi cultural society. He shuddered as he thought how the old, angry Henri had opposed such things, but Griselda had enlightened him. Soon fear, violence and prejudice would be a thing of the past.

As Henri approached the pavilion where the breakfast had been set up, a familiar yellow elongated shape stepped out of a side passage in front of him.

'Henri!' greeted Henry. 'I got lost on my way back from the toilet.'

The amiable apple with a handlebar mustache was elated at the sight of the banana. 'Henry, old friend!' he hugged the yellow fellow and stood back grinning at him. 'I'm honoured you travelled all the way from your world to be here!'

Henry smiled back. 'It was the least I could do, after all your good works for the Banana population here ... ending centuries of oppression and tyranny, forging a lasting peace with the Banana Republic of Texas, uniting our worlds with other including the Pineapples in one big happy alliance of Interdimensional Fruit and Veg!'

'That's quite a speech!' declared Henri with a look of amused delight. 'I don't think I've ever heard you say so much at once!'

His friend looked happy. 'To tell you the truth I've had a few glasses of banana brandy* and am a bit squiffy.'

*banana brandy is a delicacy from Henry's world and contains no actual bananas.

Henri put a green arm around his yellow friend. 'Well lets go in and join the others my dear old friend. By the way I found out last week that Grissy is pregnant again and I would be delighted if you would stand godfather for my next child!'

***

Henri awoke from the dream in a cold sweat. Dream? More like a nightmare!! What foul imaginings had his subconscious mind conjured up ... maybe a warning to be extra vigilant and not let himself be talked into marriage by Grandmere ... the senile old bat!

He was still shuddering - it had all seemed so real, but how could it! He could think of no reality where he would lose his moral compass to that extent!!

Henri called for Igor. He needed three things ... a stiff drink, a good breakfast and then several hours torturing and killing one of the interdimensional bananas in his dungeon!