12. Doorway

Henri was having the best month of his life!

He had gone to war for a grand total of three weeks and it was a glorious affair. There had been cavalry charges, feints, melees and parades. There had been balls and a chance to wear his full military regalia and display his ancestral medals proudly while Apple noblewomen swooned and told him he was a hero.

The goatee bearded evil apple hadn't shirked like some. He had led his men into the fray, trampling over oranges and their mandarin and tangerine allies. He had cut many a foeman in two and only accidentally killed two of his own men.

In other words he had done his part and when a fresh muster had arrived, Henri had exercised his rights to withdraw honourably from the field of combat, marching his exhausted 1919 men back to their waiting troop flyers.

Only 81 casualties among his battalion. Highly acceptable!

Henri even had a good feeling towards his 'brave lads,' now they had all faced battle together. On the night that he decided it was time to return home, he had given a rousing speech, telling them he was proud of them and he hadn't called them scum or worthless peasants once!

Instead Henri had declared that they would all have their fill of cheap mutton and ale on him, that night and on the morrow they would march ... or technically, fly, home, proud and bloodied veterans of the conflict.

He had been surprisingly touched when the lads had cheered him and burst into an impromptu verse of 'He's a jolly good fellow.'

One middle aged bean, sporting an eye patch - Henri dimly recalled he had ordered the fellow lashed for some offence or other and had his eye out, quite by accident - why, the splendid fellow had even cried out 'Gawd bless the Master.'

Henri was almost moved to tears and Igor had discreetly stepped up to tell the men that they should start their celebration while Henri retired to arrange their departure for the morrow.

The evil apple was still in a sentimental mood, wearing his new orange skin cloak and feeling strangely content, when they arrived back at the castle to be confronted with an excited Doctor Mangostein!

'My Lord!' the white lab coated scientist called out as soon as he saw Henri. 'The tether!!! It has finally stabilised!'

Henri stood there a moment, not taking in the implications and didn't even think to lash out with his riding crop when Mangostein grabbed his arm and guided him into the laboratory, where he beheld a shimmering pale yellow ...

'Doorway! It's a doorway.'

'Yes oh mighty one!' responded the doctor. 'Finally!! The way to the dimension with the accursed banana ... it lies open!'

Henri could hardy take it all in. His other dimensional banana counterpart was within his grasp! Dire retribution and extreme violence upon Henry lay ahead!

He had hardly believed this month could get any better, but how wrong he had been!

'We leave on the morrow!' declared Henri with a smile. Tonight he would sleep like a baby, dreaming the sweetest of dreams and tomorrow ... a banana would die screaming!

COMING NEXT ...

The Death of a Banana. Part One.