"That's not the right attitude to have, Kaycee," her mother lectured, "You go to competitions to grow as a dancer and a performer. If all you think about is winning, I don't see the point in you competing anymore."

Kaycee's eyes widened as she whined, "Mom!"

Laura laughed at her reaction, taking a right turn.

"But seriously, Kaycee. I understand that you want to win, but that doesn't mean you can show disrespect." Her daughter opened her mouth to protest, but she continued before she could say anything. "Besides, you have to admit, Sean's talented. I feel that he deserved every single one of his wins."

That shut Kaycee up. No matter how hard she tried to, she couldn't deny the fact that the boy had a gift in dancing. He always had a way of connecting with the audience, and brought something new to the stage with every piece he performed. She remembered on one occasion, she tried to focus on stretching backstage when he was performing, but somehow couldn't take her eyes off the boy who was leaping gracefully across the stage in his lyrical piece. Not to mention, last week, at another competition, he won his category with a solo he choreographed, at the tender age of 12. As much as she didn't want to be, she was very impressed.

"Just be nice to him, okay? I don't want you shooting daggers at him all the time like you did when we saw him last week," her mom said sternly.

She muttered an "fine" under her breath, before turning to look out the window, her thoughts running in her head.

Tricia sighed for the upteenth time, pressing the pause button halfway through the song. The girl who was energetically executing her movements finished up her back handspring, before stopping abruptly and looking down.

"Munchie, what's wrong? You seem distracted." She walked over to Kaycee, who was now fiddling with her fingers.

"Nothing's wrong," she mumbled, her attention still on her hands. "I just.." she paused, looking up before sheepishly asking, "C-Could you possibly add in a back walkover somewhere in the dance? Or a front aerial?"

Tricia frowned. "Why so? We've already put in quite a few of your tricks. I'm sure the judges will be impressed."

The girl stayed silent, biting her lip. The older then realised why she was acting this way, and spoke up, "Kaycee, all you need to do is to shine, and you always do whenever you go on stage. I know hip hop solos don't usually win as much as other genres, but with your energy and your facials, I'm sure you'll do well."

"But Sean's doing a contemporary solo," she muttered, mostly to herself, but her teacher heard her crystal clear. "Who's Sean?"

The younger didn't answer her.

"Oh, Sean from MDC?" she confirmed, remembering a boy Kaycee was constantly staring at during the competition held the previous month. Her duet partner, Gabe, had to literally pull her away from the middle of the hallway for them to practice their dance when she was so engrossed in watching him practise his solo. "He's talented," she said, raising her eyebrows in approval, "Phenomenal, even."

"Why does everyone keep on saying that he has talent?" Kaycee mumbled, walking over to her bag and taking a sip of water.

"Because he does?" came the reply.

"But he's my competitor! Why does everyone praise him so much?" she groaned, rolling her eyes.

Tricia laughed. "Come on, munchie, let's just focus on your piece," she suggested as she walked back to the corner of the studio to play the music.

Kaycee sighed, staring at her reflection in the mirror for a moment.

Just focus on your piece.