Chapter 3

I shake out my muscles, stiff from sleeping on the sand. What I wouldn't give for my own bed right now. The soft pillow top mattress made it feel like I slept on a cloud. Instead, I wince, pain creeping up my body as I crack my neck from the odd position it had been in. The gauze wraps covering my hand are caked with tiny rock particles. Maybe I should just take it off.

Worse than my hand are the hunger pangs that rip through me. The stabbing sensation in my stomach is accompanied by an empty gnawing pain. I open my eyes and find myself staring at a small two-layer cake fashioned out of sand. What the hell?

"Happy Birthday." Tim smiles. His arms are outstretched, highlighting his accomplishment. The other two chime in their well wishes. I almost believe they mean it.

A soft snort escapes me. "What? You didn't have time to go to the bakery?" "Funny," Tim retorts, rolling his eyes.

Tim's still squatted next to me, so I reach out and push his shoulder, sending him rolling backwards onto the sand. My lips pull into a wide grin. "Thanks for the sand cake. Means a lot."

Kyle takes off his glasses and lifts the bottom edge of his shirt to clean the lenses. A thick purple bruise runs across his midsection. "We should try to find another area to fish in. We could have better luck near an atoll."

"Agreed." Tim bends his head over as his hands shake through his hair, trying to remove the sand.

We head towards the closest place the coral reef breaks the surface of the water. Fish love to hang out by coral, so Kyle's idea may bring us some food today.

Dense forests and vegetation line the beach, though there isn't a lot of variety in the types of plants. The damp air keeps us cool, but also makes us sweat more. Not ideal with a limited supply of water. If we're still in the South Pacific, then I'm glad it's the dry season. No way do I want to deal with typhoon season.

After a couple of hours, my sore feet tell me the island is bigger than we thought. Much bigger. A small brown rabbit lingers on the edge of sand near the tree line of the forest. People must've been here since rabbits aren't indigenous to the area. Most likely hundreds of years ago. So no hope of anyone coming this way anytime soon.

Loud crows squawk before they erupt in a flurry of wings. Tim and Kate point at a large sea turtle making its way into the water. If only someone had a rifle, our stomachs would already be full.

"Guys, I need to sit for a bit." The pain in my knee has been dull and constant the past few days. But now, with each step, sharp pain races through the entire joint.

"Just a little longer. I promise we'll stop soon." Tim snakes his arm around my torso, helping take some of the pressure off my leg.

I grunt in thanks.

"Think anyone else made it?" Kate's head hangs toward the ground, her elbows locked as she buries her hands in her pockets. With a heavy sigh she slows her pace. "We can't be the only survivors, can we? Maybe a soldier survived, or one of the adults on the plane. You know, someone who knows what to do. Someone who can help us get home."

"I don't know." Tim's voice cracks. His body sags, and I bite my tongue when all of my weight lands on my bad leg.

"After the plane broke apart, I'm surprised we made it out alive." Kyle uses his forearm to wipe sweat from his brow.

"Not sure how I made it after that kid unbuckled my seat belt. I really don't remember much though. Someone's knee flew into my head and knocked me out." I rub my temple. The bruise on my head burns when my fingers connect with it.