Chapter 10: The Gap

Lynne's P.o.v

"So with that said, may you please be my... I mean, our daughter's godmother?"
I couldn't believe my ears.  I knew that Getty loved me but I didn't know that she trusted me that much to give me such a title. My eyes got cloudy with tears.

" I... I don't know what to say." I replied trying not to choke on my own word.

"You can say 'yes'!" this time it was Samuel who spoke.
We were having dinner at Getty's just for the sake of it and as it turns out, there was an actual celebration to be held.

" Yes! I would be honoured to. I promise to love and take care of her like she was my own." I used a napkin to wipe some stray tears and got up to give the sister I never had a hug.

"Please stop crying Rose. You're making me cry as well." Getty said as she held me at arm's length. I chuckled.
" Then bring out dessert if you want these taps to close." I joked and we all broke into a hearty laugh.
I followed my friend into the kitchen where she took out my favourite dessert from the fridge.

My eyes beamed with joy!
" yep, truffle with extra biscuits!" she said as I took it from her hands.

" Let me carry that delicious treat for you, I don't want you dropping it before I drop it into my mouth! Mhmmm...." I love food it's adorable.

We ate our dessert and drank non-alcoholic champagne because of many reasons, one being that I was driving back home and two, the lady of the house is with child.

The dishes were washed and we are now enjoying each other's company, entertaining ourselves with small talk and stories from our pasts.

"Rose, what happened to that guy anyway?" Samuel asked as he took a sip from his glass.

"Which guy?" I asked not sure who he was talking about.

" The guy that had this massive crush on you a while back. He was a teacher at your school. What was his name again... Terry, Berry?" he answered as he tried to think of the guy's name.

" Ohh, you mean Jerry Sloan? The last I heard about him was that he was working in Africa at refugee camps and rescue missions. Something about giving back and making a difference." I replied and took a sip from my glass.

"hmm... Well that is very brave of him. Working in war zones is a huge sacrifice." Getty said. " I don't know if I would ever be able to survive if Samuel decided to go back to the military; especially with the baby on the way." She added as she looked at her husband with eyes filled with fear and love at the same time.

Sam looked at his wife with adoration as he held one of her hands and said' " I promise to never put you or our daughter last. My safety is your safety and I'd never put you in harm's way." That's when he leaned in and gave her a loving kiss.

I have to say, this exchange they just had made me long for a companion of my own that the thought of him in combat would make me suffocate with worry and yet still pray that he comes back.

I looked down at my now empty glass to avoid staring and oh well, crying. I need to put a wet blanket over their moments.

"I'd say get a room but we all know where that has lead to." I joked. They lightly laughed and Getty said'"well we are married sooo...." as she added a shrug.

"Well, now that we know that I am the godmother, who is the godfather?" I asked.

They both looked at each other as if they were bracing themselves to tell me bad news. I immediately who they chose.

" It's him isn't it, Roy?" I asked.

"He is my brother Lynne and I trust him with my being." This Sam said before Getty interjected saying, "I still say that the only reason he is such a dick to you is that he is secretly in love with you and is just scared of those feelings"