"Ever", he whispered almost silently, hoping that Ever noticed the noises.

He heard small steps and Ever appeared right beside him, looking at the door.

"He's actually using the front door and not some windows from the alley? I don't know if our burglar is stupid or brave", she whispered and Freed nodded.

The lock let out a clack as it opened. The door opened and someone stepped inside. In the darkness they couldn't even see if the intruder was male or female. Freed and Ever just stayed silent and waited what would happen, but it seemed like the intruder didn't go straight to look for the books. Instead he headed towards the backdoor that lead to the house.

Before he could get to the door, Ever lifted her hands and dozens of little fairies suddenly appeared around the burglar, lightening the whole floor.

"Wait", Freed quickly said as the intruder squinted his eyes so he could see something. "That's Roscoe", Freed said surprised when they recognized the man who wasn't wearing his uniform right now.

"Roscoe?" Ever asked and they heard how Bickslow was coming down the stairs as he noticed what was happening.

All three of them approached Roscoe, whose eyes finally started to adjust for the light.

"Baby, what are you doing here?" Bicks asked confused.

"Don't call me that", Roscoe growled. "I was worried about Granny. I still can't believe she didn't tell me about the burglars, but instead she decided to ask some mages to come over."

"Calm down", Freed said. "We understand that you might feel offended, but this might be dangerous. We don't know who it is who messes up here at night."

"That is why I'm here, to find out who it is", Roscoe frowned. "It is not that unusual that maybe some of the town's rascals just decided to have some fun."

"But Granny said they might be after a specific old book that is valuable", Bickslow said.

"I'm the only one who is allowed to call her Granny, keep that in your mind, puppeteer", Roscoe snarled.

"My, you're a feisty one, baby", Bicks grinned. "Looks like you got a short temper."

"Bicks, this is not time for that", Freed said. "With store lightened up like this, everyone knows we are here guarding this place and no-one will come here again."

"We?" Ever asked lifting her eyebrows.

"You know what I meant", Freed said rolling his eyes.

Suddenly the store's own lights were snapped on and they looked at the backdoor.

"Laxus", Freed gasped.

"What the fuck?" Laxus growled. "You guys should be guarding the store secretly, not announcing to the whole town that you're here. You", he said pointing at Freed. "The fuck you're doing here?"

"I woke up and thought I should just check how Ever and Bicks are doing", Freed explained.

"That was just stupid. You, why are you here?" Laxus asked pointing at Roscoe.

"I can take care of this store by myself", he said.

"Too bad, it's not your choice to make. You can stay with Bicks and Ever if you absolutely want but for god's sake, shut up all of you and dim those lights. That's an order", Laxus snarled annoyed. "Try to do your job like you should. And what comes to you, you broke the rule", he said to Freed who felt shivers.

"I didn't mess with anything", he assured. "I didn't do anything, I only happened to be here."

"Shut up, like hell you just happened to be here. Get your ass back here, Justine."