Chapter 24

After Freed and Ever were done, Freed sat down panting and for the first time in a long time he really had a rough time fighting with Ever. Well of course if he really wanted he could have used his most powerful defences but that would not have helped Ever to improve nor him to hone up his reflexes.

"Ever is doing great", he suddenly heard Bickslow's voice and looked at him.

"Yes she is", he smiled and took a sip from the water bottle.

In the training ground Laxus had offered to help Ever. Freed smiled when watching them go, Laxus using his lightning so Ever could focus how to make her fairy orbs move even faster and how many she could control at the same time.

Suddenly he could hear a sigh and Freed turned to the tall man.

"Bicks, is something wrong?" he asked worried

"Don't know", Bicks muttered lifting his visor up still watching at the battleground. "Maybe? Or..."

"What is it?" Freed asked. "You should tell us if something is wrong."

"Ehh... Maybe I'm just a little bit frustrated, watching how much others improve and so on", the seith mage sneered. "'Cause I feel like I don't know how to improve myself."

Freed blinked his eyes. He had no idea Bickslow have been thinking something like that.

"What do you mean? You are quite powerful", he smiled. "You have improved your physical power greatly and you are even focusing better nowadays."

"Better! A lot better!" Tiki dolls assured snuggling against their master.

"But I need something new like Ever has now her new attack", Bicks groaned and dropped to lay on his back. "But my head just refuses to come up with anything!" he grumbled and tossed his helmet in the air and his 'babies' catched it, starting to throw it around among themselves.

"Oh", Freed said and now he understood what was the problem. "Well you can surprise in many odd ways but you are not exactly someone with a creative mind in other ways..."

"Thanks baby", Bicks snorted wryly.

"Well, it is true. You are much like Laxus in that way", Freed chuckled. "It's hard for you two to think outside the box sometimes. But you're not as dense as Laxus I have to admit that. You can be surprisingly creative if you really want but you lack of enthusiasm too often if it's something other than doing pranks or irritating people."

"Are you trying to annoy me? You're doing a good job."

"Annoying! Bad Freed!" dolls scolded and they bumped against the swordsman's shoulders.

"I'm trying to help you, you just need a little push. So you want something new?" Freed said and Bicks nodded. "Let's think about it. You have plenty of powerful attacks and you can control souls. Many mages would be thrilled to have your powers."

"Eh, I never actually like it when I have to control somebody's soul", Bicks muttered. "It can be such a pain in the ass. All those memories, feelings, secrets, desires, so on."

"You have your 'babies'", Freed reminded.

"Oh, that's totally different. They are my babies", Bickslow grinned and dolls giggled and hoovered above him. "They are my friends, like dragon slayers have their exceeds. They chose to stay with me so we can have fun!"

"Servants yet still dear friends and allies", Freed smiled. "You have told me that before. Why don't you focus on them now?"

"Huh?" Bicks asked confused sitting up.