SEVENTEEN| a trip to disaster.

Christopher Brown

Christopher Brown

"Ma, what you doing here?" I asked as we sat down in the living room.

"You basically dropped off the face of the earth, I'm used to seeing or hearing from my son everyday. What's been going on?"

"Got involved in a crazy case. Things have been hectic, I'm sorry."

"Mmhm, You sure it's not that girl that's keeping you away from your own mother?"

"Me and Micah aren't together anymore."

A smile slowly peeled across her face, causing me to smirk. "Oh really?" She asked.

"Yeah."

"And what happened?"

"I finally realized all of the things you mentioned. She didn't care about me just my money. She actually kind of admitted it."

"Mother knows best doesn't she?"

"Mmhm."

"So she's not responsible for this energy that I'm getting from you, then who is?"

Scratching the back of my neck, I glanced behind me. "Just a blast from the past."

"Blast from the past?"

"Yeah....you uuh, you remember Denoria Samuels? I went to high school with her."

"Lord Jesus Christopher, why do you keep running to this girls from high school?"

"She kind of ran into me but I think this was like, meant to happen."

"I'm still trying to remember who you're talking about."

"She was co-valedictorian. The one I used to tell you about all the time."

She thought about it for a second, then her eyes squinted as she looked back up at me. "The one that used to hurt your feelings?! The mean girl?"

"The one I had a huge crush on, I told you about that too."

"Yeah but I mainly remember you talking about how horrible of a person she was. Chris I know you're not dealing with this girl."

"Ma, you expect me to hold a grudge from 11 years ago?"

"Chris your feelings used to be so hurt whenever you told me about the things she would say or do. She's probably with you for the same reason that Michelle was."

"It's Micah and she's not trust me."

"Oh no Chris."

"You say that you can feel this good energy radiating from me so this is obviously a good thing."

"I'm not about to accept my son being with a girl that bullied him."

"Don't say it like that, you make me sound weak as hell. And remember when parents used to say that girls are mean to you when they like you."