SIXTEEN| who to trust.

Christopher Brown

Christopher Brown

Walking into the hospital, I rushed over to the desk and asked for Madison's room number after showing my badge. Once she wrote down her room information, I told her not to let anyone up there besides me, Corey and someone that could prove they were related to Madison.

Climbing on the elevators, I hit the 6 button then leaned against the wall. I'm exhausted man. This case is going to be the death of me, I know it is.

I'm so fucking confused at how this shit happened. Why would Madison contact Mani? I know they had some type of relationship but was he really worth the risk of her freedom and almost losing her life?

Once I got to her floor, I walked off and went in the direction the signs led me. Corey stood in the hallway with two doctors. When he saw me, he motioned me over.

"Dr. Morales and Dr. X, this is Captain Christopher Brown."

I shook both of their hands. "Nice to meet you, so what's going on?"

"We just brought Madison up from surgery." Dr. X said. "She was shot twice in the abdomen, a bullet grazed her neck and there are two shots to her shoulder. How she survived after falling in the water amazes me and is something that she could probably only explain."

"She fell in the water?" I asked.

"Yeah, her body was found in the East River." Corey explained.

"So how long will it be before we can talk to her?"

"She's still under sedation from the surgery and we want to keep her that way until her lungs began to function properly again. She needs to rest for a few days before we see if we want to lift the sedation." Dr. Morales explained.

Running my hands over my face, I sighed. "We really need to find out who did this to her. Is there a possibility that her condition can get worse?"

"Yes but the possibility is small. The only that could cause this to become fatal would be her lungs giving out but we have machines to assist her breathing to take off the pressure of her doing it on her own. I believe she'll make a full recovery.....Physically."

"Just physically?" Corey asked.

"The amount of water retained from her body shows that she was down there for awhile and that's another reason why I was unsure on how she survived. But her being under so long means there was a lack of oxygen, from her possibly holding her breath to survive and the gunshot wounds in her stomach made it even harder for her breathe. Lack of oxygen to the brain for a long period of time can cause damage. She may not remember what happened when she wakes up."

"Fuck." I shook my head.

"Alright well, thank you doctors. We'll be up here frequently to check up on her. We also need to make sure that only family visits. She'll also have a cop sitting outside of her room at all. Someone should be up soon."