Chapter 8 : Lovin' The Wrong Company

Theme : Ain't No Way - Aretha Franklin
Year 1990
POV : Lisa

I know y'all are probably confused right now as to how I got myself into this situation. Well let me start by saying that Chris wasn't always like this. He was and still is sweet for the majority it's just that I do things to get him upset that I know I'm not supposed too like talk when he's talking and roll my eyes. Let me start from the beginning.

One day about a year ago when I was hanging with Cherry and she had first gotten her deal as a writer with Uptown she invited Me , Honey and Mo to a party that they were having here and at the time we were starting our group up and we were trying to get into Uptown at the time which honestly wasn't hard since Cherry was already there. At the party she introduced us to Heavy D , Puff and this tall husky light skin man who kept making eyes with me. Mind you I'm a brown skin big girl from Philly. All my life I've battled self-esteem problems but after years of learning to love myself I always felt defeated. Anyways back to the story towards the end of the conversation we ended up meeting Andre and he asked us to sing. Like on the spot.

Ive never been shy to sing a day in life but for some reason this light skin man had me nervous. But even with my stomach bubbling and all we managed to get through our version of Never Knew Love Like This by Stephanie Mills , and the next day we got signed.

But after that we all kinda mingled around the party but some how me and that man kept making eyes until he eventually came over to speak. We exchanged numbers and went on a date the following day.

For almost three months we were completely in love , we always went out somewhere grabbing a bite to eat , at the park , holding hands, always on the phone he made me feel great on the inside. He always made me feel like I was beautiful. We had nicknames for one another he called me " Coco princess " and I called him " bookie boo ".

But no doubt , just like any other relationship we had our problems. Like for an example we were not to interact with one another around our colleagues at the Uptown headquarters. Meaning we won't get physical or get touchy feely , we even almost completely ignore each other. At first I was ok with it but once I was completely in love with him, I felt that coming out was only right I mean why hide someone your in love with.

One day I questioned him about it and that was the day he'd shown me who he really was. At the time we were at my house watching movies , something we'd normally did. We choose a movie to watch and we'd choose who's house we'd be meeting at and we would cook or just be up under each other.

Some how we ended up in an argument because I asked him " Baby why can't we just be open and tell our friends about us. I mean I'm starting to feel more like a secret than a lover ". I said to him crossing my arms.

" because like I said I don't want people all in my business knowing all my details they don't need to know what goes on in this damn relationship. " he said walking into the bathroom pulling his baggie out of his coat pocket and closing the door. A habit that I knew couldn't compete with started taking control of my relationship.

" I know his ass didn't just do that like I'm not here" I thought to myself.

So I took it upon myself to go up to the door and open it only to find him standing over my emerald green marble sink with a rolled up dollar bill on the sink holding his head back letting they high kick in.

" baby you need to cut this habit" I said crossing my arms leaning on the doorway.

Lately he's been doing drugs so much that it's rare he's even sober even then he's full off liquor , 40's and E&J specifically. I just feel that if he'd go out and get he he's do better. For the sake of our relationship, for the sake of his career and for the sake of himself I hope he gets back on track cause this is a monster that I don't recognize.