Chapter 4: Caught Up

Theme: Losing - H.E.R
Year : May 1986
POV : Mani

I was in the middle of beating iguana ass and I felt Honey pull me off screaming that our auntie and uncle and nem came back home. I wanted to stop right in my tracks as auntie told us all to get our asses in the house including Rodney and Iesha, but all I seen was red and all I heard an occasional "beat that bitch" from Dalvin and Derek. But eventually we all walked in the house when auntie Mary jumped out of the car instructing us all to get in the house.

Looking down seeing my knuckles bloody and shirt ripped , Donny had blood on his shirt which judging by the blood coming from in Rodney's leg , wasn't his. Ma Mary took us all in the downstairs bathroom and cleaned us up with several first aid kits. Even helped Iesha who had a couple teeth fall out and a busted lip and patched up Rodney's leg which was fractured. Meanwhile my mom called Rodney's mom and Iesha's people's too.

Once their parents got to the Degrate house ,our parents sat us all down in the living room on the floor to discuss what happened which I mean I understand because it was basically a big ass brawl in they front yard. I felt like I was in some deep shit but then when I think about it I really wasn't I didn't do anything wrong but beat that bitch ass.

Now Donny on the other hand was in some shit considering he was possibly this girl baby daddy. But I was still nervous because I never get in trouble it's always Donny Dalvin Derek and DJ doing something to get they ass beat but for some reason Dalvin and Derek and DJ wasn't even involved they had been in the house playing the game or something until they heard a lot of commotion. Still not sure how Honey even knew what was going on , all I remember is her coming to me helping me jump shawty girl. Honey might be all up-ity and bougie but one thing is for sure, my bitch knows how to fight. Living in this neighborhood you gotta know how to defend yourself.

" Somebody start talking " Uncle Don said clearing the silence causing everyone to jump.

" I mm-eann basically Mr. Degrate sir me and Rodney came over to see Donald and I was attacked by Mani sir. " Iesha stuttered

" and then Donald walked to my car and dragged me out and stomped on me then hit me in my leg" bitch ass Rodney said holding his leg letting out some weak ass tears.Weak ass hoe I'm glad I ain't let him fuck.

" is this True y'all " my mom asked looking in me and Donny's direction in an annoying tone.

" yes Ma but I don't see why they tryna act innocent now. " I said clearly fed up.

" what do you mean innocent from the looks of it it seems like you attacked my daughter!" Iesha's mama yelled at me causing my aunt and mom to look at me with the holy version of the " no this bitch ain't getting on my child like I'm not right here " face 😂.

I'm guessing Iesha's mom caught the hint to pipe down cause she tried to calmly come back and say " well what made you all start to fight like it had to be some kind of chain of events happening to led to this fight. " Mr. James , Rodney's father chimed in.

" honestly me and Donny were sitting in the car listening to music 😊 and I told him that I had gotten excepted into a school in New York and he told me that Iesha and Rodney had been messing around " I said bluntly realizing that I had to lie a little bit leaving out that iesha was pregnant and that me and Donny had been smoking.

By this point everybody had looked at all iesha and Rod who basically had guilt on their face , including all of our siblings who didn't even know the full story.

" wow I can't believe this. Iesha what's wrong with you! " Mrs. Jenkins , Iesha's mom said.

" you know what come step into the hallway. Let's chat " her mom said getting up unbuckling her belt folding it in half. But she stopped when she realized her daughter didn't get up as she ordered.

" I'm sorry Ma I can't I - II just like- " Iesha ramble trying to push past her tears

" you what girl?!! "Her dad screamed shocking the fuck out of us cause he hasn't said a word since he hasn't said a word since this whole sit down.

" I'm pregnant 🤰🏾" she said standing up rubbing her barley noticeable belly. Once she did that me and Dal both made eye contact which was a bad idea cause couldn't help but crack a laugh. See between all six of the Degrate-Perkin kids me and Dal were the people that you can't sit next too in church cause we laugh at everything that we aren't supposed too. So when she did that and we made eye contact we couldn't help it. But we stopped once my dad gave us this shady looked basically telling us to shut up.

" AGAIN?!" Her parents yelled.
Oh shit. *grabs popcorn*

" wait what do you mean your pregnant by who

" Uncle Don said side-eying Donny.
By this point I scooted off to the side with Dalvin , Derek , Honey and Dj cause at this point everybody in the equation finna get that ass beat. And I wasn't finna be a candidate for an ass whopping so why not enjoy the show 🤷🏾‍♀️.

" the father is either Donald or Rodney they are the only two guys I've been with " The room was filled with silence but best believe, me and the nigglets were loud asf speaking with facial expressions.

Then almost all at the same time Uncle Don grabbed Donny up by his neck, Iesha mama whopped her ass with the belt and Rodney's dad punched him in the mouth.

After a few minutes of more explanations from their kids the parents decided that they had whooped enough ass for a life time and everyone went there separate ways. The person who got it worse was Donny.

Growing up our parents have always got on us and whopped us especially when we was all together our mamas would tear us all you in front of each other when we was kids so seeing Donny get discipline wasn't nothing new to me but I feel like uncle Don drew the line this time calling Donny out his name with words that ain't even listed in the Bible. Even bloodying up Donny's face, even my parents stepped in to intervene. But what really took us all out was when Uncle Don kicked him out the house. I know that hurt him so bad. Him and his dad always had tight bond you could tell that Donny was his favorite.

" You know what you don't want me here I'll leave! Don't ever try to reach out for me cause I promise you won't find me. " Donny said running up the steps of his house packing his bag up.

" Ok I think that we all just need to take a breather for the night and just talk more in the morning " My mama said trying to break the tension.

With that all of my family said their good nights and we started walking home. Half way down the drive way I heard some loud banging coming from the Degrate house. We turned around hearing Donny walking bags out the house putting it in his trunk.

.

" Donny wait " I yelled running to the drive way

" come on slow down let's talk please I reached out to him only for but somehow I ended up in the grass faced down. I just can't even gather my tears. I was more so hurt that he's even do this to me that the actual stinging in my left palm from the impact of the fall.

" YOU REALLY PUSHED ME D AFTER EVERYTHING WE' VE BEEN THROUGH THIS HOW WE ENDING IT " I said sobbing
But the only response I had been receiving had been cold stares from him.

By that point I had collected myself enough to walk home. I couldn't process that he actually put hands on me.My best friend, my back bone , MY Donny. Once I got up to my room and took shower, cleaned my hand up and walked to the piano in our basement to pour my heart out the best way I knew how and began to play my heart away to a song I had been working on called losing

You only show me love
When it comes to the music
It's like when I feel lonely
That's when you start actin' choosey
I don't wanna keep playin' them games
'Cause I feel like I'm losin'
I don't wanna keep playin' them games
'Cause I feel like I'm losin'
What we doin'?