Chapter 6: Welcome to Uptown

Chapter 6 : Welcome to Uptown
Theme: My Love - Mary J Blige
Year: 1990
POV : Mani

What's good y'all! I'm so excited to be graduating this year .. a few months away actually! After about a year of being here in New York I was actually doing so well in classes that I landed myself a paid internship I was getting them coins hunny 🤑! But I began to miss doing music so I started back writing and singing and one of my friends named Tisha who had met in one of my classes had been an up and coming actress/singer at the time actually landed a role in a new Eddie Murphy movie called Boomerang. She ended up giving production my name and contact information and I had he opportunity to write and produce a song for the soundtrack called There You Go by Johnny Gill! Of course a nice fat check came along with that as well.

Eventually I began to work with different artists such as Toni Braxton, Heavy D, BBD, and Guy writing and producing which landed me a deal with Uptown MCA under the name of Cherry. Yes I know what your thinking bitch why you calling yourself cherry but I honestly want to keep my career and personal life separate almost like an alter ego. I am currently working on my first album with my very own group which I will discuss later on.

There isn't a day that I don't think about my family they have supported me through my whole journey. Even though I am super busy making a name for myself with my education and music, I still find time to come home every few months to see all my family including the Degrates. The only person that I don't make an effort to see is Don. Even through the years we still refuse to speak to one another. I hear about him all the time. I speak to Dalvin who keeps me updated on his brother on things like how hasn't been to church since we graduated Dal didn't tell me but I'm guessing him and dad still have issues. He's got his own place with Cedric and Joel. According to Dal they are all making music together and changed their names to K-ci and Jojo , Mr. Dalvin and Devante.... 🙄 y'all who tf does he know that's finna call him that?

Any who, the 4 of them have formed a group called"Jodeci" apparently Dalvin sent me one of their songs from a demo rough draft called come and talk to me which is bomb I play it and everyday. I know they are going places. I just wish things between me and Donny wasn't so shady but shit it is what it is. But I remember Dalvin telling me that they were coming to New York to look for a deal which I hope they are successful with. I offered to get them something going with uptown but Dal said that he wants to earn it not just any hand-outs. I couldn't do anything but respect that but with their talents I'm sure it's not gonna be hard for them to get a deal anywhere.

And for those of y'all wondering no I do not have a love life. Between constantly working and having to keep my grades up I haven't had the time. Well ok maybe I had a fling or two but it wasn't nothing serious I just haven't found anyone who could keep up with me and my lifestyle so I stand alone. Plus after the whole Rodney and Iesha situation I haven't been all open to love. Word on the street is that Rodney now had a whole drinking problem and lost his football scholarship to UCLA because apparently Don did brake his leg the night but whatever 🤷🏾‍♀️. And the baby ended up being Rodney's. He's been a hot mess since cause apparently him and Iesha moved in together but ya know I'm not petty so I'll wish him and Igloo and they ugly ass baby the best 🤷🏾‍♀️.

Like I said earlier I am one fourth of a girl group. Remember that album that I am working on? It's ours and we are signed to Uptown. Right now we are in the process of actual coming up with a name. When we started with Uptown we had the name " bound to happen " but Lisa, Monica,Honey and I think this name is kinda corny honestly. We want to go with a totally different vibe than what we had when we first started at Uptown, I originally had a deal here as just a writer and producer but honestly when the rest of the girls came they barley gave us studio time and no one took us seriously until they saw how we individually have written produced or sang for people with large platforms and it wasn't just me doing all the writing. But anyways Andre ( Uptown CEO ) agreed that the name was corny which didn't sit well with Lisa since she came up with that name but oh well she'll get over it.