Chapter 96

Arista's POV

I couldn't believe Ammon was gone. He was the one last thing I had left from my first life, the only remaining constant. I didn't want to believe that he was gone, but I knew it had to be. Our mental link was gone, not like it had been closed or destroyed, but like it was never existed at all. I couldn't get back to sleep after that, and when it was clear how my conversation with Ammon was going to end, I'd closed the Bond with Loki. I couldn't risk him starting a conversation with me now and me not being able to feel him at all was better than him feeling how truly terrible I was feeling now. Ammon's death was on me because if he hadn't known I was actively seeking to keep Infinity Stones from Thanos, he wouldn't have contacted me and gotten caught. His blood was on my hands and I was going to have to live with that for the rest of my life.

The more thought I put into his death, the more devastated I became and I didn't even try to hold back my tears. At first, I tried walking around to stave off the tears, but before long, I accepted them. I collapsed on the edge of a fountain and ust began sobbing my heart out. I mourned for Ammon, for Shayna, for Zandra and Zahara, even for Rhiannon. I mourned for my parents, my two aunts and uncle who had also been on the Council, and even a few of the cousins that I'd never known. I was truly the last shifter now, the only remnants of Shifter genes were in rare individuals like Loki, extremely diluted and the bearers totally unaware of their dormant abilities. I was the last full-blooded one and that would never change.

I don't know how long I sat there crying, but the next time I became aware of my surroundings was a hand on my shoulder.

"Ma'am, are you alright?"

"What does it look like?!" I snapped and looked up, finding myself face to face with a law enforcement official.

"I'm sorry, I didn't realize–I'll move along." I got up, but he grabbed my arm.

"That's not what I asked you. What's wrong?"

"I just got word that my oldest and closest friend has been murdered. You happy now?" He frowned.

"I'm sorry. You're not from around here are you?" He released my arm.

"No."

"Where are you staying?"

"Nowhere. I won't be here long. I have urgent business with the Broker."

"Well, he doesn't open until noon today and you look like you need a place to freshen up. My home isn't far." He got up and motioned for me to follow.

"I'm fine, really..." But then my stomach growled loudly.

"It's no trouble. I insist."

I didn't like trusting strangers in general, much less a government official. No matter how nice they seemed. So as Rhomann Dey, as his name turned out to be, led me to a more residential area, I was constantly priming myself to stave off a sudden attack and bolt. However, I found that that wasn't needed, as when he knocked on a door, a woman who seemed to be his wife opened it, and even with the small glance I got into the home, I could see evidence of a small child living there.

"Hello, love. This is...." He realized he didn't know my name.

"Peggy." It was the first thing I could come up with.

"Peggy. She needs a place to freshen up. She has business with the Broker this afternoon." His wife nodded, and opened the door wider so I could come in. Dey stayed behind a moment, whispered something to his wife, and gave her a kiss before leaving.

"Good luck with your business."

"Thank you."

Once the door closed and the two of us were left alone, the wife turned to me.