Chapter 81

The next day, I found it hard to keep myself entertained. I woke up with the sun and couldn't fall asleep again. That probably had something to do with the fact that I'd ended up sleeping on the balcony furniture and had a kink in my neck. There was a knock on the door.

"Come in." I sat up, stretching my neck to warm up the bent muscles.

"How do you fare?" It was Frigga.

"Fine. Kink in my neck though."

"Does the reason you slept out here have anything to do with Loki's absence? Or his cloak on the bed?"

"Couldn't fall asleep. Too hot."

"The heat last night was nothing significant compared to what it was all of the previous week."

"Alright, alright. I miss him. It feels wrong sleeping alone."

"You will grow used to it."

"You make it sound like he and I won't be together again for a long time."

"I mean, sometime in the future, the two of you may be separated for some period of time."

"You know something." I narrowed my eyes.

"Perhaps. Do you plan to attend the festival tonight?"

"I think so."

"I believe it would be good for you. To socialize."

"I'll try."

"Good. That is all I can ask from you."

"No it's not. I could tell you I would try and then not, so I'm going to do you one better. I will socialize. I promise." She offered me her hands, which I accepted and allowed her to pull me to my feet.

"You are stronger than you believe. I once needed to remind you of that quite often. But now, it seems that message has finally set in."

"I may be older than you, but I will never be wiser than you."

"I–"

"Just accept the compliment." She gave me her gentle smile and laughed a bit.

"Very well. As you wish."

"Will you be attending the festival?"

"No. If I were a thousand years younger, perhaps, but I am not. And age is beginning to catch up with me."

"Don't say that." She gave me a sad look, but did not try to refute my words.

"If you wish to see him, I have a way to arrange that."

"No, no. I don't want him to think I'm pathetic and can't do anything without him."

"Very well. I will give him your regards."

The festival began as soon as the sunlight vanished on the horizon and I made sure I was there. Dressed in an outfit more casual than the one I'd worn in Stuttgart, but still classy enough for the occasion. Thor arrived not long after I did, with the Warriors Four plus guests in tow. Volstagg had his wife and three children with him, Fandral had a woman on each arm, and Sif was alone. I gave the group a closer look and discovered that indeed, Hogun was not with them. I slowly inched over to the group, trying to make it seem like I happened upon them casually, but Thor spotted me while I was still a good distance off.

"Arista! Do join us!" He and his entourage dominated the head of one of the large tables, but there was one open seat to Thor's left that I took.

"Thanks."

"How fare you this fine evening, milady? Your beauty is outshining the brightest of the stars." I rolled my eyes.

The Last Shifter (a Loki romance)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara