Joseph/Cartaphilis - not alone🕊

(FemReader x Joseph/Cartaphilis 🕊
.Pure Fluff.
After Chise drained Joseph better known as Cartaphilis. You being a fairy were tasked with taking care of him.)
1,778

"All by myself?" I stuttered over my words as I looked at my old friend.

"Yes. Your the only one I would trust with this type of circumstance. I hope you understand." Elias gave me a pointed look as he waited for my answer.

"Just because I'm the size of any human here doesn't mean I'm strong like them too. I'm just a healing fairy..." My words trailed off into thoughts as I began to wonder... 'How would I be able to take care of someone like Cartaphilis without being killed?'

"His powers are gone and if it were under any other circumstance I would ask the other fairies to look after them but, they would only try to corrupt him whilst you would only protect him. It's Chise's wish that he is cared for and safe. Please make sure that he is."

With that heart to heart talk he's gone, off to take care of some kind of important business and I'm here. Standing at the steps leading down to man who disembodied and killed thousands of creatures. The only thought running through my mind as I took each shaking step downwards, the pitcher of water I now held in my hands did little to keep my presence silent as it sloshed about. 'Would I be next? Was this it for my life? I haven't even tried a Mochi. A type of treat Chise has described to me once.... Ah Chise. I'll have to ask her later what on earth she was thinking about when she made this decision of hers.'

A groan brought me from my thoughts and I realized I was now standing in front of him. He looked smaller than I expected as he lied there  eyes closed comforted in the safety of his bed. Not once moving to look to see who his guest was as his head was buried in the cushion of his pillow

"Ah... hello there." I cursed myself for my voice being weak but, introduced myself all the same, "I'll be y-your caretaker from now on. Please d-don't..." I paused for a moment to think about my choice of words, "please don't hate me."

All I got in return was a rough grunt. Something I hadn't really expected at all. I assumed he would yell or try to cast some type of curse over me and yet... The only recognization I got for me being in here with him was a simple grunt. I took that with great comfort as I slowly set his pitcher of water beside his bed before I quickly ran back up the steps. Relief washed over me as I basked in the sun to come back alive from the encountering Joseph otherwise known as Cartaphilis.

Months passed and everyday I would come down to replace his food and replenish his water but, in return all I got was a grunt. This happened the entire time. Not even a look in my direction. He kept that face of his buried into the comfort of his pillow and all I had the privilege of looking at was his pure white hair.

Soon enough, my confidence began to rise after I came to the conclusion that he meant no harm to me. It's been this long already if he wanted to kill me he would have done so by now. So I walked carefree down the stairs today having something other than giving him food and water in mind.

The sound of something heavy hit my lap as I opened the book to the first chapter.

"I brought a book." I clarified what I had for he hadn't moved an inch.

Silence...

"I thought... I thought I might read you a story."

Once again I was met by silence. Yet I continued with a wary sigh.

"It's one of my favorites so I hope you like it." I spoke soft as I looked down towards the first line and began to read, "Once upon a time..."

And so everyday I read him a chapter of this book. It was a fairytale parents would read to their children before they went to bed and this one I hoped it would speak to him as much as it did for me. Beauty and The Beast. At first it felt as if he were just sleeping the whole time but, I quickly came to realization that he was all but, pretending. He paid attention to every word. every movement, and every detail as I spoke. Sometimes I would be able to make out the furrow of his eyebrow when he hadn't understood something to which I of course went back to explain it to him.