Chapter 2: Socks of Death

Darcie frowned, Grover still hadn't explained what had happened.  In fact the boy seemed to be avoiding Percy and Darcie all together.  Darcy wanted to talk to Percy about it but the boy seemed to be spiraling out of control.  His grades slipped, he got into even more fights, and was sent out into the hall nearly every class.  She was on her way back from asking Mrs. Kerr-the woman who mysteriously replaced Mrs. Dodds-questions about her final when Percy knocked into her.  He jumped and nearly yelled out as she grabbed him to keep from falling.  "Percy!  Percy it's me!  What's wrong?" she asked as Percy grabbed her hand and slipped into a dark classroom.

"Shh." he said as something approached.  It sounded like hooves and stopped right in front of the door.  They ducked down as a large shadow moved past.

In the hallway Mr. Brunner spoke, "It's nothing." he murmured, "My nerves haven't been right since the solstice."

"Mine neither," Grover said, "but I could have sworn....."

"Go back to your dorm, you've got a long day of exams tomorrow."

Grover groaned, "Don't remind me." We waited until the sound faded away and Percy peeked out making sure the hallway was clear.

"What was that?" Darcie hissed.

"They were talking about me." Percy said giving her a look.  His face was pale, "I don't know why.  They said something about you too, that you knew about something?"

"Yeah Mrs. Dodds, I've been wanting to talk to you about it.  That day, I took pictures.  When I told Grover he freaked out and begged me to delete them saying that he would tell me what was really going on."

Percy looked surprised, "He did?  What did he say?"

Darcie shook her head, "He's been avoiding me."

"Me too." he frowned, "On the last day of term-the day after tomorrow-is your dad picking you up?"

"He usually does."

"Call him and tell him you're taking the bus with a friend, we'll corner him then." 

"O-Okay?" she said.  

"Okay meet me by the doors once school lets out."

    She met Percy as planned and Grover frowned not expecting her.  "What are you doing here?" he asked lightly.

"Oh Percy and I were talking the other night and he thought it would be fun if we went together." she grinned.  As they boarded Grover became more and more fidgety, as if he was expecting something terrible to happen.  

Finally Percy turned to him, "Looking for Kindly Ones?"

Grover practically jumped out of his skin, "W-What did you say?"  Percy then confessed about eavesdropping making Grover laugh nervously, "Well I'm just worried about you man, hallucinating some demon math teacher."

"Grover-" Darcie gave him a look, "You promised you would tell me what was going on."

He dug something out of his pocket and handed it to each of them.  "Just take this, in case you need me this summer." Darcie frowned having to concentrate on what he was saying.  The 'take' sounded like bake, and 'case' sounded like race.  Which of course made no sense.  She shook her head taking the business card.  

"What's Half-"

"Don't say it!" Grover yelped, "It's uh-It's my summer address." the two began to argue a bit back and forth but it was hard for Darcie to understand when they were talking so fast.  Suddenly there was a grinding noise from under their feet and black smoke that smelled like rotten eggs billowed from the dashboard.  At the driver's command they climbed out along with all the other passengers.  They stopped next to a stretch of nowhere road, someplace you'd never notice unless you broke down there.  Grover frowned at the litter as Percy looked across the street at the fruit stand.  "They aren't looking at you are they?" Grover asked and Darcie turned to see three little old grannies knitting the biggest pair of socks she'd ever seen.  All three old women were staring at Percy.

"Yeah," Percy laughed, "You think those socks would fit me?"

"Not funny, not funny at all." Grover said.

"What's wrong?" Darcie asked.  Grover's breath hitched as one of the old women brought out a pair of shears.  Even at a distance Darcie could tell they were sharp.

"We're getting on the bus." Grover announced trying to pull them.

Percy shook his head, "Man it's like a thousand degrees in there."

"Percy, please!" he begged.  But Percy shook his head.

"I'll go with you Grover." Darcie said and this appeased him a little.  Soon the driver had the bus up and running again and Percy rejoined them as Darcie opened a window.  As she sat back down she saw that both boys looked violently ill.  Percy's skin had a yellow pallor and Grover was shaking.

"Grover." Percy groaned.

"Yeah?"

"What aren't you telling me?"

"What did you two see back at the fruit stand."

"You mean the old ladies?" Darcie asked.

"Did you see them snip the cord?"

"I didn't I was talking to you."

"I did, what does it mean?" Percy said even though she didn't see it Darcie somehow knew it was a big deal.  She herself started to feel feverish at the mention of it.  

"This is not happening," Grover cried tugging at his curls.  "I don't want this to be like last time.  I-I can't take it again." he cried.

"Last time?" Darcie asked.

"Sixth grade, they never get past sixth." he was starting to really scare Darcie.  Something was definitely wrong.  

"Let me take you guys home, okay?  Promise me?" he looked at them with watery brown eyes.

"I promise." they both said in unison.

"Is it like some superstition?" Percy asked.  Grover stayed silent still crying and shaking.  "Doe-Does that snipping of yarn-Grover-does that mean someone is going to die?" Percy asked.  Grover just stared at him mournfully like he was already picking what flowers to put on his grave.