An Abundance Of Gifts, But Only One That Matters. (Ryan Ross x Reader)

For: @hi-ho-and-hello

Request: Y/n wakes up on Christmas morning and is confused to find that there's only one small gift for her under the Christmas tree, when she got Ryan dozens of presents. She gets pretty sad about it, but when Ryan convinces her to open it, she gets surprised with a note and an engagement ring.

REQUESTS ARE CLOSED.

*

Note: I don't know what (Y/N)'s problem is. Why's she sad? Just being with Ryan is a gift, tbh.

 Why's she sad? Just being with Ryan is a gift, tbh

Gifts. An integral part of the Christmas season, isn't it? A custom that over the years had become so crucial to one's joy over the holidays, that the absence of it left one with a nasty feeling for the next twelve months.

You'd always prided yourself on being an excellent gift-giver. Not only did you tailor your gift choices to fit each of the recipients likes, wants or needs, but you often times gifted them with more than one present, too.

That being said, since Ryan was undoubtedly the most important person in your life, it only made sense that you had gotten him the most gifts – much more than anybody else on your gift list.

You'd gotten him close to a dozen's worth of gifts, including – but not limited to – a new guitar, a designer leather jacket and a pair of Doc Martins. And judging from the amount of bags he'd returned with after his shopping trip a couple weeks ago, you were certain that he'd gotten you a respectable number of gifts as well.

Hence, your confusion when you woke up on Christmas morning and rushed to the tree only to find that there was merely one gift from Ryan with your name on it. The surge of disappointment that you felt rippling through your body was an involuntary response – one that you couldn't stifle regardless of your attempts to do so.

You hadn't expected Ryan to buy you as many gifts as you had bought him (you knew very well that you were a tad excessive) but you had thought that there'd be at least three, since he'd gotten you three last year. But one?

Crossing your arms over your midsection, you stole one last glance at the heap of presents under the tree before walking off to the kitchen to get yourself a drink. As you opened the cabinet and reached for your and Ryan's matching Christmas mugs, you sighed to yourself.

Maybe it was slightly childish – the whole 'crying because you got more presents than me' scenario. Even still, regardless of your self-awareness, the sadness in your heart refused to subside. Not even when your boyfriend sidled up next to you to deliver his customary good morning kiss, now with extra affection; it was Christmas morning, after all.

"Merry Christmas, sugar," he murmured into your shoulder as he placed a flurry of kisses against your skin.

A genuine smiled crept its way onto your face. "Merry Christmas, baby."

He picked up his mug with one hand and laced his other in yours, gently tugging you with him as he started for the living room. "Come on," he wiggled his eyebrows in excitement, "Let's go and open gifts."

Your smile faltered but you still let him drag you out of the kitchen, hot beverage spilling slightly from the force he used. Nice to know that one of you was excited, at least.

When you arrived at the tree, both of you took a seat on the floor, sitting cross-legged to save space. Well, not that you needed much space but nevertheless...

"You wanna go first or shall I?" he asked, eyes wide with glee and fingers rapping against the floor impatiently.

Shrugging, you opened your mouth to respond but you were interrupted by Ryan speaking again.

"Ahh, screw it," he waved a dismissive hand before lunging forward for the biggest of his gifts, "I'll go first!"

Blowing a raspberry, you propped one elbow on your knee and held your head in your hands, watching as Ryan proceeded to rip the wrapping paper off of gift after gift. You had to admit – seeing his reactions and how happy he was was enough to still your own feelings, and your sadness drifted off for a blissful half hour.

Then, the time came for you to open your presents, and that ugly feeling returned. You tried with great effort to mask the facial expression that was threatening to give away your true feelings as you reached for the minuscule box with your name on it.

Ryan knew you better than anyone, though, so he knew that you were definitely feeling dissatisfied at present. So with a soft laugh, he scooted closer to you and captured your lips with his.

"Open it," he encouraged, rubbing your shoulder and using his head to gesture at the box.

With a mostly silent sigh, your fingers worked to remove the immaculate wrapping surrounding the gift. Your breath hitched in your throat once you realised what was underneath.

"Here," Ryan helped, picking up a note that you had accidently discarded with the wrapping and holding it out to you.

With shaky hands and an equally shaky emotional state, you gently took the card from your boyfriend's grasp.

(Y/N),

Love of my life. My sun and stars.

My moon.

I know you've already gotten me an abundance of gifts, and I hope this doesn't come across as me being greedy, but if it's alright, I'd like to ask for one more...

Will you be my wife?

_______________________________

Thank you for reading x

Note: Annndddd you can choose your own ending because I'm currently working on Bodyguard and Cape Town and you can't have it all in life.

ALSO BECAUSE I'm too lazy to even attempt to write the ending to this.

But let's be real – the only true ending to this would be one where you say yes, because come on.

It's Ryan Ross.

Come on.