Chapter 4: Pisces

"Well, I'm late again," Pisces sighed, looking at his alarm clock. It was currently 7:40am and he had to be at his lecture for 8:00am.

He quickly got out of bed, went to the bathroom to brush his teeth and try and comb his white hair to no avail (as always,) before changing into more suitable clothing, as his mother burst into his room.

"You're late, idiot," she smiled at him, a bit of flour of her nose. Pisces dearly loved his mother - she was the sweetest and most kindest woman he had ever met. She shared his snow white hair and slim build, but he had no idea where he had gotten the blue eyes from - both of his parents had brown eyes.

"Well, this is the first time I've ever been late. I'm pretty sure Mrs. Juniper won't mind," he retaliated. "Besides, aren't you always late to open?" He grinned. His mother rolled her eyes.

"We have to make sure everything is perfect before we open our store to the world," she tried to reason. Pisces wasn't having it.

"Yeah, yeah, and you caress each bun as you serve it and each cake is made to it's maximums potential."

"I should hope so! Now, hurry up. Your father wants to show you something, before you go to school," his mother said. "It's your birthday present."

"It is!? Okay, I'm coming," he called as his mother left the room. He was severely excited - his dad's presents were the best. Two years ago, his dad had taken him to watch The Asterias, a group of singers who travelled with an troupe and did performances in numerous cities. Last year, however, was the best birthday present to date. He had gotten to go to Zhora for a few nights, where they went to Loch Arthur, a huge lake that was rumoured to have been put there by angels and where the 'Lady of the Lake' herself resided. Pisces had felt a personal collection to the place and he loved being near water itself.

He couldn't wait so he quickened his pace, and made his way downstairs and saw his father sat near the fireplace, clutching a scabbard.

"What? Are you holding a sword?" Pisces asked, confused. His father was not a violent man, so it would make no sense for him to be holding the item.

He ventured forward, as his dad stood and turned around, a saddened expression clear on his face. What the hell is going on? Pisces thought. "Pisces, I never wanted you to use a blade, but I've had to accept it's something you were always going to do," his father began.

"What? I don't need a sword. I can manage just fine without one," Pisces said. Questions flooded his mind. Why was his dad giving him a sword? Why was it something he would always do? What the hell was going on?

"Pisces, listen to me. Take the sword. You're going to need it. I know you can't have weapons in college, but stash it somewhere safe on the way there. When you come back, you'll be trained to use it."

Pisces face was a mixture of fear and shock. "But... but... why?" He stammered out.

"I'll reveal in due time. You do still need to go to school," his father gave him a soft smile, his brown eyes glinting. He handed him the scabbard and Pisces unsheathed the blade, without even thinking.

"This... this feels nice..." he said, holding it aloft, and looking at it. It was perfectly balanced - not to long or short and not too heavy or light.

The sword itself had a blue hilt, with a green gemstone embedded in the middle of it, two small prongs protruding from the hilt at either side of the sword. The blade was dark blue in colour and Pisces initially thought it was fake. He touched it and realised that wasn't the case. It was made of something stronger than metal and seemed to drain his strength as he touched it.