10: A Price To Pay

Song Of The Chapter:
Hollow - Cloudeater

The next few days went by slow.
Wake up. Eat. Interrogation. Sit around. Eat. Interrogation. Sleep. Repeat.
It was the same vicious cycle over and over, only changing every three days for his turn on laundry and showers.
Lance liked those days most.
He hated feeling dirty, but then again, most people do.
The only thing he disliked was the fact that it was public, and there was only two walls and a curtain to cover you as you washed off. He disliked the idea of someone opening the curtain on accident, or on purpose.
He had a right to be uneasy. He saw it happen to someone else.
In different prisons Lance had been to, he had been gifted to have the shower apart of his cell. But that wasn't the case here.
It made sense, though. People often were known for breaking things to make weapons, or to even attempt to drown themselves.
They wanted to make it as secure as possible.
So, Lance just dealt with it.

Like today. Wednesday.
He had taken a shower and now was being escorted to the dining hall to eat. It felt extremely nice to be clean. His grin didn't go unnoticed by Pidge and Matt.
"Someone is perky. As usual."
"Oh, he looks clean. Probably had his turn to freshen up."
Lance nodded, smiling.
He didn't understand how even though they were trapped and probably in more danger than himself by the other prisoners, how they could act so calm. Like everything was fine. Everything was normal.
Lance took a bite of food as Pidge was telling a story.
"I flipped off an officer yesterday and they nearly started beating me before officer Allura came in and got the dude away from me. I started laughing so hard. You should have seen the disappointment on Allura's face."
Lance shook his head, laughing. "You're a gremlin."
"It was worth it. Nothing is ever entertaining besides watching prisoners fight."
"True," agreed Lance. "Messing with police officers is really the only way to keep you entertained."
Lance was about to make another comment, but the moment he opened his mouth, something sticky hit him in the back of the neck.
Lance stiffened, feeling what was obviously mashed potatoes fall off him and drip onto the ground.
Pidge and Matt's eyes were wide with surprise.

Lance slowly turned around, where a person no other than the dude who beat up Keith was standing, who Lance had learned to be named Sendak. Alongside him were three other buff dudes.
"Hey guys..." Lance greeted calmly, though it was clear to see he was ticked off.
"So is the new norm to go walking around throwing food at others?"
Sendak leaned forward. "You."
"Yeah? What?"
"You decided to help out a petty police officer, AND proceed to fucking break my nose! You should be happy you are alive for as long as you are. I had to take some time to heal. On any other day you would be dead meat right about now."
Lance could hear Pidge desperately whispering to him not to engage.
He didn't listen.
"What are you gonna do about it?" Lance sneered in a taunting voice. "You know," the brunette commented, pretending to tilt his head to better inspect the man. "You remind me a lot of a toddler."
"WHAT DID YOU SAY?!" Sendak roared, and immediately swung an arm toward Lance, who easily ducked away from.
"You sure act like one, throwing a fit all the time. What is it," he asked, looking at how furious the man was getting. "Do you need a binky? Something to shut up that obnoxiously loud mouth of yours?"

Sendak obviously had enough.
Before Lance could respond, he was being hoisted up into the air by the collar of his shirt.
"HOW DARE YOU SPEAK TO ME THAT WAY."
Lance knew he should be fearing for his life, but he wasn't. In replacement of fear, was a sense of bravery. A spark of excitement.
"I do as I please. And that includes me calling you a son of a mother fucking bitch."
The man roared, and Lance found himself being tossed into the air, where he collided with another prisoner. Food went flying, landing on Lance, the ground, and many others.

"Okay," Lance growled, closing his eyes as he wiped his face off.
"Now you really made me pissed. I just took a shower."

Sendak came lunging for him, but Lance dodged and kicked the prisoner to the ground, coming up and beating the man's face repeatedly.
Swing after swing, Lance felt fire burn inside him as his knuckles turned more and more red.
Strong arms suddenly wrapped around him from behind, and Lance realized it was one of the prisoner's friends.
Lance couldn't do much. He was being held in a full body lock, one that wasn't easy to kick or pull yourself out of. So, Lance looked down at the man's arm before opening his mouth and biting down on the exposed flesh.
Hard.
The man holding him cursed loudly, kicking Lance into a table.
Lance turned, but was met face on with Sendak's hand.
"You are a pesky bug to me," Sendak growled, nose bleeding and eye swollen. "And like any bug," He leaned forward to whisper into Lance's ear. "You must be crushed."

Lance felt his head being lifted into the air.
Until--
It was bought back down against the table.
Hard.

Lance let out a yell, kicking out his legs. But Sendak just reshifted, holding Lance tighter now.

He would crack Lance's head open like an egg.

Lance tried again to fight back, but every move was returned by a skull cracking slam against the hard table, over and over.
His vision was doubling, blurring, and he could feel something drip into his eyes, which he soon realized was blood.
Pidge was screaming something. Calling for help?
Where the fuck are the guards? Lance wondered, right before his head was being smashed against the table again.
And again.
And again.
He screamed.

-

There was a large amount of commotion passed on by the guards as Keith was walking down the hallway. Something about some prisoners getting into a fight. It was pretty normal, so Keith wasn't rushing.
That was, until someone contacted him on his walkie talkie.
"Officer Keith, you are needed in the dining hall now!"
Keith picked his pace up to a run, turning the corner and opening the door to the room.
Keith was expecting some nearly harmless fist fight that he would have to break up.
But no.
Oh no.
Instead, what he saw was nobody other than Lance McClain being held by the head by Sendak. Sendak, the man who had attacked Keith with a tray was now bashing Lance's head against the table, laughing sickly and letting out taunting remarks.

In an instant, Keith found himself rushing into action, drawing his gun.
"STEP AWAY FROM HIM NOW." Keith yelled, raising the gun to aim at the tall man.
Sendak froze, but didn't let go of Lance's head.
From here, Keith could tell Lance was struggling to stay conscious. Blood dripped thickly down his face and into his eyes.
It was horrifying.
Sendak obviously was contemplating whether or not to listen.
"Drop. Him. Now." Keith growled, cocking the gun.
It seemed like an eternity before Sendak finally let out a grunt, before aggressively dropping Lance to the floor before backing away, where Shiro came over and handcuffed the man alongside his friends.

Keith turned back toward Lance, quickly running over. He propped the injured prisoner on his lap, examining the damage.
"Oh my god," Keith said with widened eyes.
There was... so much blood. So much Keith couldn't even see where it was coming from.
"I need assistance!" Keith yelled to nobody in particular. Sure enough, his wish was granted. Romelle came and helped Keith carry Lance out toward the medical bay.

And all Keith could do was hope that Lance would be okay.

A/N:
Is this rubbing salt into the wound season 8 gave us? Sorry. But hey! More klance will be coming up next chapter!