9: Bonds

Song Of The Chapter:
Alcatraz - Oliver Riot

Tapping.
Lance awoke to the sound of a dull tapping on the floor the next day, and opening one eye to see a familiar face staring back at him.
"Wha- Were you watching me sleep?" Lance asked, rubbing his eyes. He meant for the question to sound teasing and maybe, just maybe flirtatious, but it came out raw and honest.
Keith's eye roll was not hard to catch.
"I was giving you a few extra minutes to sleep." Keith said flatly.
"How kind," Lance said, smile lazy.
Keith lips downturned in response, unlocking the door.
"Come on, it's time for breakfast."

The walk to the cafeteria was excruciatingly quiet. Lance tried to say something to get a conversation going, but all he was met with was cold silence.
"Silent treatment. Got it," Lance sighed, deciding not to pry any longer.

He was left to go back into the cafeteria, where he sat down without comment.
"Uh oh, lover boy isn't happy."
Lance looked up to Pidge, who was looking at him with a smirk.
"Laugh all you want."
"Still sulking about what happened?"
Lance shrugged. "He's giving me the silent treatment now."
"Boo hoo. It's not like anything is gonna happen anyway. You are a prisoner, he's an officer. There's no way anything is gonna happen with you two."
Matt let out a thoughtful hum. "Maybe not though. Maybe with enough patience, he will finally cave into you. Who knows, he could be your ticket out of this place."

The ticket out of this place?

Damn.
Matt might be on to something. Though Lance didn't particularly like the idea, it could be true.
But....
Lance didn't want to do that. He wasn't that sort of person.
And, truth be told? He liked Keith, or at least what he has been exposed to.
But it could work in the long term, intentional or non intentional.
So lance nodded. "Yeah. Maybe."

When Lance went back to his cell for a while before interrogation, he was surprised to see Keith arrive at his cell early.
"You have someone wanting to talk to you."
"I- What?"
"Do you want me to tell them you can't talk?"
Lance frowned, ignoring the sassy remark. "No. But you... someone's here to see me?"
Keith nodded, and ushered Lance out of the stall to the phone room.

It looked like any other prison phone room, besides the increased amount of security. On either side of the walls there were chairs, with a glass window separating the speakers.
Lance was guided over to an empty chair, where he sat down and looked up at whoever was coming to talk to him.
Lance's heart throbbed the moment he saw the familiar yellow headband.
Hunk sat down.
Gave him a sad smile.
"Hey, bro, what's up?"
"The sky."
Hunk shook his head. He looked sad. Lance already realized how incredibly lonely he looked.
"I just wanted to see how you were doing," Hunk said, followed by sniffles. "I... really miss you, Lance."
Lance's smile was sincere when he replied. "I miss you too, bud. I promise I will get out of here soon."
Hunk didn't look satisfied. In fact, he looked worse, looking down at his hands.
"Why?"
Lance tilted his head slightly, confused. "Why..?"
Hunk's eyes met his. "Why did you turn yourself in? Besides 'experimental' reasons or whatever you call it. I mean, what if you never get out? Your family misses you, and you know how much you are needed back at ca-"
"Hunk."
"-mp. Huh?"
Lance leaned forward, eyed darting around to make sure nobody was watching.
"Don't mention that stuff here. My guess is that they record the conversations. I don't want them to find out anything, through anyone. Including you."
Hunk nodded, looking guilty. It was times like these where Lance wish he could give his friend a hug.
The boy needed physical contact.
"How's my family? My brother's kids doing fine? I bet they miss me."
Hunk smiled. "They do. They keep asking me whenever I stop by when 'Uncle Lancy Lance' is getting back."
Lance nodded, though he was now starting to feel somewhat homesick.
"I'm sor-"
"McClain, time's up."
Lance looked up to meet Hunk's gaze.
They shared a simple silence, before Lance said, "Say hi to Veronica for me."
Then he was being pulled away, pulled away from his best friend.

As normal, it was quiet during interrogation, which came not too long after the call. But this time it wasn't a silence Lance liked. There was a certain tension hanging in the air, and Lance didn't have to guess why. He knew his actions would have consequences. So what did he do it?

Keith's voice finally broke the silence about a half hour in.
"So, your friend. Who is he?"
Lance's eyes were the most protective Keith had ever seen.
"Don't even think of bringing him into this. He's done nothing wrong, and when I say that, it's true."
Keith nodded. "Don't worry. I'm just asking who he is."
Lance sighed. It wouldn't hurt to share a little bit, right? They couldn't use anything he was going to say, unless they tracked Hunk down.
"He's my childhood friend. I've known him since I could barely stand."
Keith nodded, seeming relieved to finally get some information out if the stubborn prisoner.
"So you've known him your whole life?"
"I'm pretty sure what I said confirms that, but yes."
Keith's eyes narrowed. "As you were talking to him, he said you were needed back at 'camp.' It confirms you are apart of a group. Do you agree?"
Lance sighed. "I suppose that's pretty obvious. Yes, I'm not the only one."
"Then Hunk is guilty?"
"No," Lance snapped. "He's the one who makes meals, for God's sake. He's never stolen anything in his life."
Keith stood up. "We are done for the day. Thank you for giving me some information."
Lance grunted, and muttered, "You probably would beat the shit out of me if I didn't."
Keith grinned. "Likely."
Lance decided to not make any more commentary. He already had a feeling his words betrayed him enough. Who knows, they might try to interrogate HIM to get information out.
Geez, Lance should have thought about that.
Too late, now, though.
When Keith dropped Lance back off in his cell, Lance reached and grabbed Keith's wrist through the bars.
"Keith."
The dark haired boy flinched, but looked at Lance, eyes wide with confusion.
"Don't bring Hunk into this. Please."
All Keith did was nod. "I will try my best, but I cannot guarantee if you don't start sharing information."
Then, he left, and Lance was alone, where he slumped down to think.
"Fuck." Lance hissed, clutching his head in his hands.
"Fuck."

When Keith went home for the evening, his mind somehow ended up stubbornly staying on Lance.
Overhearing Lance's conversation with his friend names Hunk, apparently, gave Keith a whole different view to the male. Especially when Lance grabbed his wrist. There was desperation in his voice. His eyes were pleading.
It was a softer view to Lance. A view he wish he didn't have to see, because it further made the strange feeling in his chest flutter.
Lance cared about people. It was hard to take that in when you were supposed to NOT cave into the prisoner's life stories and such. It made it more difficult mentally. Sympathy often gets the best of people.
Keith wanted to remain strong. He wanted to remain unfazed by the Cuban boy.
But, it was harder than it seemed.

Especially, when you can't take your mind off how soft their lips are.

And even harder when you want to kiss those said lips again.

A/N:
Whoop, new chapter! Hope you guys like it so far, i'm trying hard to make it enjoyable. Next few chapters will get exciting... Hehehheh.
As mentioned before, this story is a continuation of Billdipandotherships story. I suggest checking it out!

 I suggest checking it out!

Thanks for reading!