8: Watch Your Back

Song Of The Chapter:
Message Man - Twenty One Pilots

A/N: Remember, if you haven't read the past chapters on Billdipandotherships' account, then you won't really understand what's happening! Alright, continue reading. ThanKs ♡

The cafeteria was loud when Lance went in the next day for breakfast. Lance hadn't seen Keith all morning, and he assumed that it must have been because of the stunt he pulled the previous night, or he was taking the day off.
Or both.
Thinking back to it now, Lance mentally slapped himself. What the hell was with him? Why did he do that? It upset him, and both Pidge and Matt could tell something was up the moment he sat down.
Matt was chewing on a biscuit, but had looked up when Lance arrived. "Did the newbie finally loose hope?"
Lance sighed, but smiled at the nickname. "Nah, it's not that."
Pidge stabbed a grape with her fork. "Then what's with the face you're making? It sort of looks like you are a child who was just asked to do something they didn't want to do."
Lance chuckled. "I uh, made a mistake... I think."
"You think? What did you do?"
Lance scratched his head. "I uh... kissed a police officer?"
Pidge dropped her fork, and both siblings gave him shocked 'what the fuck' expressions.
"You-- WHAT?"
Lance covered his face. "I know, I know! I don't know what I was thinking!"
Pidge groaned. "You are an idiot. An absolute idiot. Dude, they are probably gonna punish you or something for initiating unwanted, prohibited contact with an officer!"
Lance slammed his head against the table, not caring whether it attracted glances in their direction. "I KNOW. I KNOW. I KNOW."
Pidge shook her head. "When?"
"Last night when I was being interrogated."
"Well if they haven't come after you yet, maybe the officer said it was no big deal or something? It's surprising they haven't come to get you yet," Said Matt as he sipped his bitter coffee.
Lance sighed. "I suppose. I mean he does seem to take a liking to me, even if he tries to hide it."
"It's that officer you defended, isn't it?"
Lance nodded, silent.
"I'm also surprised that buff dude who attacked him hasn't tried to attack you again. I don't even know how many times he's bashed another prisoner's head into the table when he gets pissed off. You have had a good stroke of luck so far."
Lance thrummed his fingers against the tables repeatedly, looking for any sign of the dark mullet.
"You might get targeted in the next few days though," Matt said, and then tagged on, "They love to pick on newcomers."
Lance grunted. He could handle a few guys.
If Lance was being honest, he felt like the siblings should be more concerned about themselves.

Lance was thrown back into his cell after breakfast. It was only his first few days arriving, and because of how capable he was of escaping other jails, they were still assessing what sort of work he would be doing, if any.
It was fine with Lance. It gave him time to think and plan.
Lance wondered if anyone would call him. He could hear different prisoners being let out and escorted to the telephone room, but nobody came for him.
Not that Lance was hoping for it. His family was busy enough. But maybe Hunk? Or maybe Veronica?
Lance sighed.
Pidge and Matt were right. He should get his hopes up too high. If anything, the person who would be coming to talk to him would be that annoying guard, Keith.
So Lance waited.

He was mistaken. It wasn't Keith who came to take him to the interrogation room. It was an officer he had only seen once before, who Lance remembered as "Shiro." Since this man looked like he could easily bench press Lance without fatigue, Lance decided it was best to stay on the less chatty side.
"Not so talkative today, are you?"
It was a surprise in Lance's opinion for a cop to start talking to him first.
Lance grunted, a smirk plastered to his face.
"I know when to be cautious."
That evoked a soft chuckle from the guard.
"I don't think you have to worry about that."
Lance grinned. "You are ripped, dude. I think I have a right to be concerned for my safety." Lance then hummed, "You probably have a six pack, right? Can I call you Six?"
Shiro sighed, though an amused look was still visible on his face. "You can call me whatever you want, I don't care."
"Alright Six, pleasure to meet you."

Lance was chained down as usual, and the same questions were asked. And, as usual, Lance didn't answer.
"Life might be easier for you if you would just answer the simple questions," Shiro sighed. It had been a little over an hour, and Lance could tell he was already maxed out. All Lance did was grin, determined not to share any information with the officer.
"But then you would follow up with even more questions."
A sigh.
"Can you tell me," Shiro started, "Why you kissed Officer Keith?"
Lance blinked.
Huh.
So they did decide to bring it up after all.
Lance leaned back from where he was leaning on the table.
"Last night, while you were being interrogated, you kissed him. Officer Keith is taking a break today, and I was asked to ask you about it."
Lance sighed. "I did it because I felt like it," he said simply.
Shiro wasn't satisfied. "And why, might I ask, did you suddenly feel like doing that?"
Lance groaned. "Look, Six, if you want an honest answer, he was luring me into doing it. I don't know if you watched the security footage, but you could tell by looking at him that he was definitely leading me on."
Shiro pinched the space between his brow.
"I understand what you mean. He can be a little... hotheaded at some points I suppose. Teasing."
Lance nodded, agreeing.
Shiro got up not long after they shifted back into silence.
"Alright, I think that's enough for today, I'm obviously not gonna get anything out of you yet. We will try again later."
Lance felt triumphant as he was escorted back to his cell. Different prisoners looked at him, but he paid them no notice.
The hell did they want, anyways?

There was a significant amount of time Lance had to think before he was being sent out for dinner. Lunch was served in the cell, and, of course, nobody came to see him.
Following the same routine that he had been for the past few days, Lance found his spot once again next to Pidge and Matt when dinner arrived.
"Lance," Pidge said the moment he arrived.
"Huh?"
Pidge's eyes were serious, and they glanced around from time to time.
"I overheard some guys talking while I was working in the kitchen this morning. They mentioned the dude that you went up against and how he and his gang were talking about challenging you or something. I don't know if it's true, but I would be on guard if I were you. They're brutal."
Lance nodded, glancing at the man who had hurt Keith, who was walking to a table.
"Gotcha. Thanks for the warning, Pidge."
She nodded.
Lance looked around. "Where's Matt?"
Pidge pointed over to her brother, who was talking to two other prisoners.
"Who are they?"
"Rolo and Nyma. Two prisoners we have befriended during our time here."
Lance let out a thoughtful hum.
"I'll keep that in mind. How long have you been here, now that you mentioned it?"
Pidge wiped her mouth from the cornbread she was eating.
"Matt was here a few months longer than me. I got caught trying to get him out."
Lance nodded. "Makes sense. Sibling bonds."
"Since I'm his sister we've had the privilege of having cells next to each other. There's a hole in the wall near the floor of the beds, so we often communicate through that."
Pidge looked over to Matt, then up to the sky. "We're still figuring out a way to escape."
Lance smiled.
"Me too."

A/N:
Hope you liked the first chapter of the story (continued on from the last chapter written by Billdipandotherships <3
I'm so appreciative that I was chosen to finish the story, and I plan to make it the best I can!
Thanks for reading!
-Squemonn