14: To Go Against Wishes

Song Of The Chapter:
Everything Is Happening - Mother Mother

Keith couldn't believe he was doing this. He felt as if he was betraying Lance, but what did it matter? He was a criminal, what Keith did to proceed the investigation didn't require Lance's total permission.
He had just gotten done searching for Lance's friend's information, and finally was able to dial up the number. He only had speeding and a small theft recorded in his police records- interesting.
The other side of the line picked up.
"Hello? Who is this?"
"Hello, Hunk Garret? This is officer Keith Kogane. I'd like to ask you some questions about Lance McClain. Can you come down here for questioning?"
There was silence for a second, a breath in, then, "Uh... yeah sure. I'll be over soon."
"Thank you, see you soon."

And so here Keith was, face to face with Hunk.
"Thank you for coming in," Keith said, receiving a nod in return. "Now, you are friends with Lance, is that right?"
"He's the best friend I have."
"Does he care about his family?"
Hunk huffed out a laugh. "His family is his world. He'd do anything to protect them."
Alright, so that was true.
"Is there anyone who would threaten the safety of his family?"
"There's definitely some groups, yeah," Hunk replied. A loaded question for a loaded answer. Keith gestured a 'go on' sort of move, but Hunk shook his head helplessly. "If I told you anything, his family would be in danger, and he would never forgive me."
"Hunk, are you associated with whatever Lance is associated with?"
"If you're asking do I do the same things as Lance, then no. I've only stolen once, and that was food during a rough period. Being completely honest, all I've done for him is look after our families. I'm a cook, not a criminal. I have my own small food stand at the street market."
Keith internalized this information. "So there's nothing you can tell me then. No names, nothing?"
Hunk shook his head. "I can't say anything unless Lance gives me the okay. It's very risky, and God help if anyone followed my car here, I'd be a dead man. People are weary to tell me things because I'm often very honest."
Keith leaned back. "What about the mafia leader known as Mr. Z? Do you know anything of him?"
Hunk looked away. "I can't say. I just... I can't, okay?"
Keith let out a slow breath.
"Okay," he sighed. "You can go. I am going to go talk to Lance now. Thank you for coming in."
"That's it?" Hunk's expression was rather surprised.
"That's it," Keith confirmed, rubbing the space between his brows.
Hunk got up, giving a small smile before making his way out.
Keith sat there for a few moments, thinking.
Well that did relatively nothing. But Hunk did seem to react to the mention of the mafia leader.
They didn't have too much information on the guy, despite him being one of the most dangerous, vile men around.

Keith finally got up and went to retrieve Lance. The male was sitting with his back against the bed, feet up in the air.
He looked back at the sound of the key jangling against the cool metal bars.
"What, is it time for social hour already?" Lance asked, flopping down and getting up.
"Seems like it," Keith muttered, shoving the brunette out of the cell. "Come on."
They walked down the hallway, and Lance slowed a bit at a specific set of cells.
"Hey gremlin," Lance smirked, and Keith realized he was talking to one of the other inmates, Pidge.
"Fuck off," the short girl replied.
"Keep it moving," Keith gave a light shove. He didn't want to mess around today.
"CREEPER!" Lance yelled anyways, and Pidge's brother, Matt, whooped back, "AAAWWWW MAN."
Fuck. Memes.
Keith scowled, trying not to find it funny in any way.
They finally made it to the interrogation rooms, where, as per usual, Keith clipped Lance's handcuffs to the table.
"So, what's the topic for today?"
Keith rolled his eyes at Lance's display of fake enthusiasm.
"Actually," Keith tilted his head. "I wanted to talk about something."
"And what might that be?"
"I pulled your pal Hunk in for questioning today."
Lance's signature grin dropped, face hardening. Something flickered in his eyes.
His eyes said it all.
Sharp, bitter betrayal.
But Lance remained silent, lips pressed into a thin line.
Keith continued, despite how much that look was throwing him off. "I asked him a few questions, but he didn't answer anything that will help the investigation. He told me he took care of your families, and that he was a cook with a booth at the market."
Still silence.
"He wouldn't tell me anything relevant without your permission. He's a good friend, ill give you that."
A twitch of the lips, nothing more, nothing less.
Keith cleared his throat a little. "I did mention one of the gangs that we've been studying. Mr. Z- know anything about him?"
Lance tensed.
He knew something. Keith cracked his knuckles out of habit. "You know that if you tell us information about these gangs, you'll be out of danger. We will be sure to get rid of anyone who is causing trouble."
A sarcastic laugh from Lance's end. "It's not that fucking simple. Just because we fear them or dislike them, doesn't necessarily mean we... I want to get rid of them. They provide for our families, and we provide for them. It's a fair exchange, but if someone tries to bend the deal," Lance stopped. Keith got the message.
"Not to mention," Lance frowned. "It's not just one gang. There's so many different sup groups of people, working both separately and apart. There's multiple strong leaders, and they often compete on who runs them all. It can get nasty."
"So we can't just 'chop the head off the snake,' per say?"
"Hell no," Lance spat. "Giving out any information that there's a possible traitor means that everyone wants your head, no matter the person you obey most. In the end it all comes down to Mr. Z, or whoever is on top."
Keith nodded. "Thanks for the information, Lance."
Lance looked down. "I'm only giving you information that you could have figured out yourself."
"Yes," Keith said, "That's true, but having someone who's been thrown right into the mix can be helpful. They can help confirm and feed information that is deemed useful."
Lance sighed.

Maybe he was giving in, just the slightest bit. Because to be honest, he would like to see Mr. Z and all the rest fall like a couple of pegs, especially if Lance was the one who caused it.
But that was only if he could get a guarantee of the safety of his family and other friends who didn't deserve to die.
And if that could be guaranteed?
Lance didn't mind causing a bit of havoc. Besides, that's what he specialized in, right?

A/N: Sorry that took sO fucking long to update, I really wasn't feeling this chapter, nor Voltron, for the matter. I'm trying to work on continuing to write for VLD, even if season 8 scarred me. I'm slowly healing, so consider this chapter a gift, hahaha.