Chapter One

As she walked through the entrance doors of the party, Nora's eyes widened as she gazed at the sparkling atmosphere in the room. Coming from a family background of dancers, Nora's main focus was on the live energy the party guests had on the dance floor. There were a little over twenty dinner tables with white tablecloths and about twelve place settings around each one. And each wide shaped window overlooked the view of the city lights of New York City.

Catching her a little off guard, a waiter came over next to her with a tray of glasses of champagne and politely asked, "Champagne, Miss?"

Nora's eyes started to blink seemingly fast while she turned to focus on the waiter's face. The blinking of her eyes came to steady pace as she took a glass of champagne from the tray. She smiled then said, "Thank you."

The waiter then walked away leaving Nora's line of view clear as she spotted Melanie's waving hand from across the room. Nora took a sip of her champagne then strutted across the floor to Melanie who was already meeting her halfway. Nora and Melanie have been best friends ever since they were paired up as lab partners in Biology class their freshman year of high school. Though they went to two different colleges after high school, the two still managed to keep their friendship closer than ever twelve years later.

"There she is!" Nora shouted as she leaned in to give her friend, who was wearing a black shimmery cocktail dress a hug.

"Hi honey," Melanie returned as she released from the hug. "I'm so glad you're here. You have to meet Ben's parents, they're amazing."

Nora smiled. "Getting along with the in-laws already? That's a good sign."

"Yes, a very good sign."

"Where's the groom to be?"

Ben wrapped his arms around Melanie's waist from behind and said, "He's right here."

Ben and Melanie met at an elementary school where they both teach. Ben is all about Science and Melanie's a Math genius. A year ago, Ben asked Melanie to be his chaperone date to the fifth-grade dance after they'd been working together for two years. The two fell in love that night which lead to their engagement a month ago.

Ben released his arms from his fiancée's waist and gave Nora a hug which she returned. "Ben, Congratulations."

"Thank you." Ben turned to face his fiancé and said, "Mel honey, there's still some people I want to say hi to. We'll meet for the speech alright?" He placed a light kiss on Melanie's cheek. "Enjoy the party Nora."

"Okay." Melanie waved her fiancé goodbye.

"Later," Nora added as Ben was already across the room. She took a sip of her champagne then smiled at Melanie. "I'm so happy for you, Mel."

"Thank you. I'm happy for me too. I still can't believe this is all happening."

"This is so big...you're getting married. My best friend's getting married!"

Melanie let out a big sigh. "Yup, it's happening. And you know what; I can't wait to marry Ben. He makes me so happy."

"You're going to make me cry." Nora shook her head and smiled. She sighed then added, "I know it's soon, but have you decided on a date yet?" As Melanie began explaining the details of her set wedding date, Nora's attention was suddenly focused on the handsome gentleman entering the party.

"August 9th." Melanie started to repeat herself but instead interested in what caught her friend's attention. As she followed Nora's gaze across the room, Melanie smiled at rather who caught her friend's attention.