Radhaji

Next Day

RK Mansion

The sunlight peeping through the windows, envelopes RK in a glow of warmth as he decends down the stairs.  He approaches the dining room hoping to see Radhaji by herself.  To his dismay, Reena is present, lightly chatting away with his mother.  Hesitant to interrupt, RK pauses in his steps to approach the table.  Reena looks up, smiles sunnily at him and beckons him with her hand to join them.

Reena:  Good morning bhaiyya!

RK hates her sunny disposition because it makes it difficult for him to hate her.  And he should hate her.  After all she is a Sharma.  He refuses to accept her as his sister, not even as half.  He jerkily pulls out the chair at the head of the table and sits down.

RK (mutters angrily):  A Sharma wishing me good morning is just the opposite, bad morning!

Reena's face fell at this comment.  She has always seeked RK's love, approval and affection but instead she received cold dismissal or hurtful taunts.

Radhaji (scolds RK):  Rishu!  Why are you always so rude to your sister?!?

RK (holds up his hand):  Maa please.  She is your daughter but she is not my sister.  I don't accept her, never will and its best (staring at Reena) for both of you to accept this once and for all.

Reena pushes away her half-eaten plate and stands up.

Radhaji (to Reena):  Beta...don't go because of this badmaash!  Sit down and finish your breakfast.  In your condition, you need to make sure you eat properly and get all your nutrition.

Reena (smiles at Radhaji):  It's ok maa.  I am already full and can't eat anymore.  I'll leave as I am sure (looking at RK) bhaiyya wants to spend time with you alone.

Radhaji:  But beta...you don't need...

Radhaji stops midsentence, as Reena hurries out of the dining area.  She sighs in frustration, as she has always been torn between the time and love she gives to her children.  If she loves one, the other suffers.  Despite being the eldest, her Rishu is more immature than Reena. So she has always catered to his needs. Guilt and regret course through her.  That perhaps she has neglected her daughter who deserves equal share of love and attention.

RK:  Now it can be a good morning.

Radhaji (glares):  Rishu!  When will you grow up?

RK (quips):  For you maa?  Never.  (Somber) Maa...I do need to talk to you.

Radhaji (sighs):  About what Rishu?

RK:  About dada's sister.

Radhaji (surprised):  You know about her?

RK (covers up):  Umm...yes.  Papa told me about her.

Radhaji:  But Rishu...why are you so curious about her now?

Their conversation was interrupted by Mangesh.

Mangesh:  Chief.

RK (snaps):  Mangesh!  Can't you see Maa and I are talking?

Mangesh (stuttering out of fear):  So..rry Chief.  You...you...have a visitor...in the family room Chief.

RK (fierce frown):  Did you get the person's name?!?

Mangesh:  Yes Chief.  He said ASR.

RK's frown clears and indicates to Mangesh that he is coming.  As RK is leaving the dining area, he turns to Radhaji.  This is the perfect opportunity for him and Arnav to question her about dadiji and the connection between their families.

RK:  Maa.  I think you should come too.  You'll enjoy meeting him.

Radhaji (smiles):  Accha?  So my Rishu has actually made a friend?  Then I definitely need to meet him.

RK (glares):  Maa!

Radhaji's smile widens and she stands up.  Now she's very curious to meet this young man who has managed to get into her Rishu's good books.

She follows RK to the family room and her eyes widen at the familiar looking visage of the young man in front of her.

RK:  Arnav...meet my maa.  Maa (pointing at Arnav) He is...

Radhaji (to Arnav):  Beta.  You are the spitting image of your father.