Cleansing

Despite the long hours, Khushi and Madhu love their jobs. They love it not because of the amount of money they earn, though it's considerable. But because of the abundance of respect they are accoladed. Yes. RESPECT. Something neither received in their previous avatars as wives. Correction. Half-wives. They worked hard to gain entrance in university, worked even harder to graduate with honors, and competed with tenacity to obtain positions at Mumbai's most prestigious law firm. Their success at the firm has been of astronomical, garnering new clients for the firm at a faster pace than their colleagues. In less than 2 years, both became the youngest junior partners of the firm.

But even with the satisfaction their jobs provides, there's no joy like coming home. Home sweet home. Sweet only due to their little jalebi loving Tara. Every evening they rush home to spend time with the little one. This evening is no exception.

Madhu and Khushi walk through the front door. They drop their case works, purses and keys at the console.

Madhu: Ma...Tara...

Khushi: We are home!

Tara comes running in from the family room, shrieking with joy. She jumps up into Khushi's arms and kisses her cheeks.

Tara: Hi Mama! Hi Mima!

Madhu: Hi sweetie... (and kisses Tara's cheeks, who kisses her back).

Khushi: Hi baby! Did you eat your dinner? I hope you didn't give your Nan a hard time.

Padminiji: Khushi...my little shona never gives me a hard time. She already had her dinner.

Tara: See mama? I am a good girl... I don't give my Nan Nan a hard time. I even ate all my veggies. (Makes a face) Yuck! Mama...I want jalebis...please Mama! Pretty pretty please (makes a sad puppy face).

Khushi kisses Tara's cheeks. How can she ignore her baby's cute request?

Leading her troops, she walks into the kitchen and starts mixing her batch for the

jalebis. As Khushi prepares the batch, Madhu and Padminiji eats their dinner and

also feeds Khushi from their plates.

Tara: Mama...Mama...I wanna mix...I am a big girl...I can do it!

Khushi picks Tara up and sits her on the counter. Tara with a very serious

countenance splashes the spoon in the batter, just the way she thinks her Mama

does it. As she is getting ready to fry, Khushi sets Tara back down on the floor and

fries away the beloved food of the Malik family.

Madhu (to Padminiji): Ma...where's Malik and Roma?

Khushi: Haan Ma. We haven't seen them at all today.

Padminiji: They went out for outdoor shooting. Will return in a few days.

Madhu: Ma...I worry about Malik's health and the all the stunts he performs.

Can't you please talk to him to...I don't know...slow down?

Padminiji: Beta...your Malik is very stubborn. He still thinks he is in his 20s.

Khushi: Madhu...maybe we should talk to him when he gets back? I worry about

all those stunts that he still does.

Madhu: Good idea Khushi. He has no choice but to listen to us.

Tara (giggles): And me...Nana...will listen to me.

Khushi, Madhu and Padminiji (together): Because you're our Princess!

Tara: Mima...don't forget...we also have to play dress up, ok?

Madhu (curtsying to Tara): Yes..my little Princess!

Done making jalebis, Khushi piles them up in a platter. The four of them take the

jalebis up to Madhu's room to enjoy their little star's fashion show. Tara has a

ball playing in her Mima's closet. She wears Madhu's shoes, clothes and jewelries

while her Mama, Mima and Nan oohhs and ahhs and click pictures of her. The

little fashionista walking the imaginary ramp, every time she puts on a new outfit.

Finally exhausted from all the fun and sugariness, Tara falls asleep on Madhu's

bed. Khushi and Padmiji helps Madhu clean up the mess. As they are cleaning,

they notice the open jewelry box with the mangalsutra and a dried up, single red

rose.

Madhu (with tears in her eyes): I tried to throw them away...so many...so many...

times. But I just can't seem to do it. I just can't.

Khushi and Padminiji hugs Madhu. All three of them now in tears.

Khushi: I know...Madhu. It's hard...so damn hard...

Padminiji: Beta...I know it's hard. But I want you to try...to move on. Please...

both of you. I want to see my children happy.

Madhu: Ma...I have been thinking lately...that the only way I will be completely

free of that...janwar...is to file for divorce. We are still legally married. And I

must payback 40 lacs. Only then...will I find some peace and can move on. I am

done thinking about him...just done!

Padminiji: I am with you in your decision beta.

Khushi: Me too Madhu. You have my full support. You know...I have been

thinking the same thing. To go back to Delhi and ask that...rakshas for divorce.

I also want to be completely free from him. I also don't want to be indebted to

him, even if it is for 300 rupees. It's time Madhu...we can't let these...monsters...

keep us from living our lives. How long will they continue to haunt us? To mock us in our dreams? Enough! I want to be completely free!

Padminiji: Yes...Khushi beta... You do what you think is best. Khushi...you also should go see your family. It has been 5 years. You've never contacted them since then.

Khushi (now sobbing): I know Ma...I am a horrible daughter and self-fish. I wanted a fresh, clean start so badly that I didn't even think about my family.

Padminiji (hugging Khushi): You are NOT a bad daughter. You are NOT self-fish. Don't ever say that about yourself! Everyone can understand your situation at time. But now...beta...I think you need to be in touch with them. It's been 5 years. They must be wondering what happened to their daughter. Wondering if you're still alive. Please go put them out of that misery. So they know you're safe and sound. (Sobbing) I don't want them to go through my pain. Of having lost a daughter...to never...to never...see her again.

All three of them are now crying their hearts out as they think about Trishna. How she was taken from them in a cruel, twist of fate. They send up a silent prayer for her dead, departed soul.

After much crying, they wipe their tears and works to get back their equilibrium.

Khushi (taking deep breaths to calm down): Ma...I promise. I will go see Amma, Babuji, Buaji and Payal as soon as I can. In fact, I will buy tickets for Delhi for the day after tomorrow.

Padminiji: Take Tara with you too. They should get to meet their granddaughter.

Khushi: Yes...Ma. I will take her.

They are silent again. Each still in pain and hurting from their recent conversation.

Madhu (to lighten up the mood): Well...it's a good thing we have leftover jalebis.