Holi!

Next Day

Infectious laughter can be heard throughout the chawl as Tara, clad in pristine white dress, ran around applying gulal on children and adult alike.  As she likes to claim that she is now a big girl, her mama and mima deemed it appropriate for her to participate in the festive occasion.

Ever since the move to the new house, Madhu and her family like to come back to the chawl for festivities.  Surrounded by dear family and friends, they can't think of a better way to celebrate.  Merriment and vibrant hues of gulal that can put even the rainbow to shame, claims the air.  A day filled with harmless pranks that are easily forgiven.  It is after all holi. 

Madhu and Khushi shed all their inhibitions and dance to the beat of the dhols.  Face covered in gulal, eyes glowing with excitement, hips and head swaying provocatively to the beat, the sight enthralls RK and Arnav.

The girls feeling their husbands presence, stop dancing and stare in shock at them.  The boys are clad in jeans and a tight fitted t-shirt, showcasing their well defined upper body.

Feeling the slow pull of attraction, Khushi walks toward Arnav.  He raises his hand and lovingly applies red gulal to Khushi's cheeks.  His hand still on her cheeks he brings her closer till she's plastered to his body.

Arnav (smiling):  Happy holi sweetheart.

RK grabs a handful of red gulal and walks over to a frozen Madhu.  As he approaches her, the beat of her heart increases.  The man is just too damn ****y for her comfort!  Once RK reaches Madhu, he applies the gulal to the parting in her hair.  Her eyes widen at this rather symbolic gesture.  Even during their first half-wedding, RK never applied sindoor to her forehead.  She is quite overcome with emotion.

RK (leans forward and whispers in her ears):  Happy Holi Biwi.

Khushi (to Arnav):  Arnav...but...but...I thought...you don't like Holi.  I mean...yes... you played holi with us in Shantivan for the short period we were married.  But that was...well...that was just to keep an eye on me...and Shyam!

Arnav:  Wrong.  I did it then just for you sweetheart.  And I came today again just for you.  You love holi...so how could I not celebrate with you?

Khushi (flustered):  Hmmm...well...it's easy to say that now that you know the truth.  But don't you dare deny that on that day you joined only to keep an eye on me.  (Arnav opens his mouth to argue) No...please don't bother.  I don't want to argue on such a happy occasion.  (Pointing at his hands) Mmm...you're crossing the line that we set yesterday.  Hands off Mr. Raizada.

Arnav (tightens his hold on Khushi):  Fine...I won't argue with you.  But I distinctly remember telling you that I will give you what you want. (Near her lips and whispers) And you want me sweetheart.  Don't deny it.

Madhu (to RK):  RK...I don't understand.  You don't like...I mean...celebrate holi... and at the Chawl of all places.  You are always worried about your image.

RK:  I can't be anywhere else when my heart lies with my Biwi.

Madhu (stare in shock):  What bakwas!

RK:  You are the owner of my heart. (Leans in for a kiss) Now shower it with love before it withers away.

Madhu opens her mouth to deliver a scathing reply to RK's dialogue but Roma interrupts.

Roma (high on bhang):  Ahem...ahem...!

RK (pulling back):  Lady Bhim...I see you are still the same as ever.

Roma:  You're lucky RK that I am in such a good mood...or calling me Lady Bhim would have been injurious to your health.  (Holding up two glasses of bhang to Madhu and RK) Glycerine...here... take a glass and drink up.

Madhu (looks suspiciously):  Roma...you know I don't drink bhang.  So why are you trying to get me to drink it?

Roma:  Uffo Glycerine...(whispers) they are just thandai not bhang. (Winks) So drink up!

Madhu (still suspicious):  Promise?

Roma (pouts):  What?  You don't believe your Roma...your dear bua?  (Shedding a few tears) You don't trust me...I who held and helped raise you from the time you were a baby?

Madhu:  Ok...ok...chill...(takes the glass of Roma's hand) I am drinking.  Happy?

Roma hides her glee as she watches Madhu and RK drink bhang unknowingly.

Arnav still has his hands tightly wrapped around Khushi when they too were interrupted by Lady Bhim.

Roma:  Ahem...ahem...what's going on?

Khushi (pulls out of Arnav's arms):  Nothing at all Roma.  Nothing whatsoever.  Roma (Looking at Arnav) I assume you are Laad Governor...(Giggling) Oopps!  I mean Arnav?

Arnav (smiles politely):  I am Arnav Singh Raizada... for the world (looking at Khushi) but for someone special just Arnav...or (grimacing) Laad Governor as she used to call me. (To Khushi) I actually miss you calling me Laad Governor.  Unbelievable.

Roma (giggling):  How sweet!  (Holding up two glasses of bhang) Now drink up!  It's not holi unless...

Khushi (looks at the glasses suspiciously):  Roma is this bhang?  I can't drink bhang... Ohh no no no...I can't keep anything in once it hits my system.

Roma:  Arre...this is thandai.  I know you don't drink bhang.  (Pouts) You don't trust my word?

Khushi (grabs the glass):  Sorry Roma...of course I trust you.

Roma watches Khushi and Arnav drink bhang and skips away to continue to celebrate.  It was such fun to trick her nieces and their spouses to drink bhang.  In her mind, there could be no holi without bhang.  Period!

Bura na mano holi hai!