Desperation Is Not A Good Color On Anyone

We sit in front of each other on two white sofas in the chic decorated living room, a big dark blue vase with white Lilies between us.

I admire the fine view of the garden through the large windows and pretend to be fascinated by the pictures on the console table that is close to me while they share a passionate kiss.

There are lots of pictures, I only have time to examine a few, most of them seem to be of her daughter, a serious looking, brown eyed, over achieving girl. My eyes wander on her graduation photo, and as I lean in I see a picture of her in a white coat. Huh, she must be a doctor or something. Falguni finally speaks: "That's my daughter Karishma, she's a fellow surgeon in New York Presbyterian hospital. "

Drunk or not drunk, she sounds just as proud as every other mother.

"Can I get you anything?" Tabitha asks before leaving.

"No, thanks." I reply.

She nods and leaves.

Falguni's eyes follow her figure as she leaves and sighs joyfully.

I clear my throat:" I'm sorry to take your time Ma'am, but I just need to ask you a few questions about your neighbors, The Fitzroys. There has been a break in at their residence on Tuesday night."

She nods absentmindedly:" I heard."

"Have you seen any unusual person or vehicle around the neighborhood lately? Anything out of the ordinary?" I ask her as I flip my small note book open, hoping to get a few details to write down.

She studies me closely: "What do you think about me Detective?"

I freeze as I hear the question and stutter, awed: "I...I'm sorry?"

She chuckles:" Come on, nobody has ever caught me like this before, I'm curious to know what I must look like to someone from outside."

I open my mouth twice before coming up with something to say: "I think you're someone who knows how to have a good time."

She flashes me a sad smile: "Yeah? Good. That's good." Her voice is crisp and faraway, I wish she wouldn't cry. I wish she would just tell me about the damn burglary and let me be on my way.

But universe usually doesn't give a shit about what I want. And it sure as hell wasn't gonna start changing its pattern anytime soon.

I sadly realize this as I hear her sniffling.

"Mrs. Gupta? Are you okay?" I try to sound caring.

She stays silent for a minute and then replies, defeated:" I don't know anything about the burglary. And I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary."

I nod. That's not good news of course, but the sooner I got out of this place, the better. So I decide to interview others as quickly as it was humanly possible:" I understand your husband isn't here now, and is most likely unaware of the burglary altogether, I'll be interviewing your staff and then be out of your hair in a jiff."

'Jiff.'

Oh God, please don't let Erin be rubbing off on me.

She shakes her head:" I have asked our staff to take a few days off, since last week when my husband went to New Delhi."

She glances at my deliberately neutral kept face and reluctantly adds: "I didn't want anyone... to know."

I nod understandingly: "Has Ms Tabitha been here since last week? If so I need to ask her a couple of questions as well."

She looks at me, I think she's suspicious or scared or maybe both but she breaks into a loud uncontrollable laugh: "Yeah, yeah. She's been here."

My insides twist uncomfortably. And I flinch at the sudden release of stress.

I've seen drunk people before. Hell, I've practically seen all shades of drunk behaviour a person could think of. There's something wrong with her.