Head and Heart

"Look after yourself, James," said Fleamont Potter, giving his son a brief, one-armed hug. He turned to Sirius and patted his shoulder. "You too, Sirius."

"We'll see you at Christmas," said Euphemia, squeezing them both tightly. "Write. Be good. Don't go looking for trouble."

"We'd never, mum," said James. He kissed her lightly on the cheek and followed Sirius towards the train.

"Oh, and boys, we'll have to be careful about what we put in our letters, but try not to worry."

"Bye, mum," James called over his shoulder, and he and Sirius walked along the platform, packed with departing students and their families.

Lily leant against the barrier between platforms nine and ten, and fell easily through onto platform nine and three quarters, where the Hogwarts Express stood belching creamy curling smoke into the air. She inhaled the nostalgic smell, then joined her parents, who were looking around with wholehearted enjoyment, drinking in the scene.

"I should get going," she said. "It's not long before the train leaves."

"Okay, sweetie," Mrs Evans whispered, pulling her into a rib-cracking hug before holding her at arm's length and taking one last look. "We'll miss you."

"I'll miss you too," Lily smiled. "Bye, dad."

"Don't forget to send the...err...the odd owl."

"We'll let you know if we hear anything more from Petunia," added Mrs Evans quietly.

Lily nodded and waved, struggling with her luggage through the growing crowd. She looked back for one final goodbye, but her parents were standing with Marlene's dad, and they were being bombarded with questions, all enthusiastically and courteously asked, about Muggles.

"Hey, Lils," said Remus arriving at her side.

"Hi, Remus," Lily replied distractedly as she searched the crowded platform. "How're you?"

"Not bad," said Remus. "You?"

"No closer to finding out who the Head Boy is," Lily grumbled, looking hopefully up at her friend.

"It's still not me," Remus grinned.

"I was so certain it would be," she groaned. "It's not Jeffrey Ewing – the Ravenclaw prefect – I sent him a letter last week. Ben told me it's not him either, so that just leaves Severus. It doesn't seem very likely, but I don't see who else it could be-"

"Snape isn't a prefect this year."

"Really? Oh, well, I guess that rules him out as well then- the Head Boy is always a prefect."

"You'd think so," mumbled Remus. "Have you seen James?"

"No," Lily replied, glancing briefly around the platform again.

"You haven't?" said Remus, sounding tense.

"No, I haven't. Why?"

"It's nothing."

"Well, if it's an 'it', then it's not nothing, is it?"

"It's – what?" Remus frowned.

"Well, you said 'it's nothing', so -"

"Come on, let's just get on the train."

"I'll see you on there," replied Lily.

Remus sighed. "Fine. I'll see you on there."

Lily arrived at the last carriage, where James could normally be found; standing in front of it was Sirius, and right beside him was Marlene. There was something undeniably different about the way they stood, tilted slightly towards one another, their bodies touching all the way up one side. Lily was not surprised. Over the past few years the two girls had spent countless nights imagining what it might be like if Sirius were to end up with Marlene. What was presented here fitted quite well. What was less comprehensible, however, was that this was the first Lily had known of it.