Wanda Lockett

When the sixth-year students entered their Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom on the first morning in March, a woman, on the older side of middle-aged, was sat at the teacher's desk, flashing them a set of dazzlingly white teeth. Professor Dipply had resigned due to 'ill health', which was widely rumoured to be the work of Peeves the Poltergeist and an extensive range of falling objects. His replacement was wearing short, velvet robes of coral, that exactly matched her two-inch painted nails. Tottering around the desk and perching precariously on the edge, she patted her elaborate coils of platinum hair, and stared at the dubious faces of her students as they took their seats. There were a few moments of silence, broken by the occasional cough, then her fuchsia pink, lipstick-lined smile widened, and she flicked her wand at the blackboard, still looking intently at the class.

"My name is Wanda Lockett," she announced, as the chalk wrote on the board in large, loopy letters. Lily thought that there something poisonous about her high-pitched, breathless voice.

She stepped off the table, and sauntered down the middle of the room, getting a good look at each face she passed. Lily recoiled as the stench of sherry and Madame Pimpernelle's latest potion reached her on the third row.

"I believe, the only way to break in a new class, is with a few sparks," she said, her silver eyes glinting behind a pair of orange glasses. She stopped at the back of the room, and spun on the pointed heel of her shoe. "So, books away," she ordered with relish. "You're going to pair up and duel."

There was a murmur throughout the class as they confirmed their usual partners.

"No, no," the Professor simpered, and the talking stopped immediately. "I'm going to be putting you in pairs today. Everybody up. To the back of the room."

There was a dull scraping and banging as all the students got to their feet, and scrambled through the desks to the empty space at the far end of the classroom.

"Lovely," she said as she moved through the nervous crowd, taking her time to match partners. Lily with a skinny Ravenclaw girl, Dorcas with a chubby Hufflepuff. Then, James felt her long, ringed fingers land on his head and tousle his wavy hair. "You," she smiled, leaning toward him, "with the tall, blonde boy." Mulciber smirked as James was shoved towards him. Lockett's taloned hand gripped Sirius's upper arm with surprising strength, and she steered him over to Diggory. She teamed Benjamin with Jason Wottring, then Remus and Mary smiled weakly at each other as she paired them up together. Finally, she turned to Alecto Carrow, and said, "You're with Legs." The large Slytherin girl, Alecto Carrow, smiled coldly at Marlene, who gripped her wand with sweaty fingers.

"Lovely," Wanda Lockett said again, observing her handiwork from her desk. "Begin."

There was second of uncertain silence, then Mulciber drew his wand at James, who instinctively raised his own, and cried "Expelliarmus!" There was a flash of scarlet light, and Mulciber was blasted off his feet. Suddenly, the room was full of shouts. Missed spells shattered the jars on the walls; books flew wildly off the shelves; and sparks showered from the ceiling. Marlene ducked to avoid her partner's hex, and the desk behind her collapsed with a loud bang. Benjamin's leg-locker curse missed Jason by inches, and he raised his wand to fire another. Gasping for breath against the wall, Mulciber summoned his wand, and pointed it at James, but suddenly, he was distracted by a large cloud of orange smoke rapidly filling the room.

"Tut, Tut," said Professor Lockett, surveying the chaos as the orange smoke faded. Both Benjamin and Jason were lying on the floor, ashen- faced and panting; Marlene, was whimpering in pain as Alecto Carrow held her in a headlock, her wand forgotten.

"I have got a riotous lot on my hands," Lockett said, with a twisted smile. "Get up. Let's try something a little more sedate, shall we? The perky red-head," she snapped at Lily, whilst gazing fixedly at James, "and Golden Boy."