A Stormy Match

Everybody got up late on the first of November. In the Great Hall, a pale morning light streaked in through the window. It was much quieter than it had been during the build up to the Feast. Lily sat down on the wooden bench opposite Dorcas, yawns punctuating their lazy conversation. Jason Wottring was sitting beside Mary, although she seemed to be concentrating much harder on her cereal than her boyfriend.

"How many times do I need to tell you that I'm sorry?" he muttered under his breath, his dark eyes darting uneasily across to the Ravenclaw table.

"I don't know, Jason?" Mary scowled into her cornflakes. "How many times did you shag that tart, Jackie Prince?" she said, venomously spitting out the girl's name.

"Come on, Mary," he pleaded, pulling on her sleeve. "I told you, it didn't mean anything!"

"Piss off, Jason," she snapped. Shrugging him roughly off her arm, she stood up and stormed out of the Hall.

Lily looked away, ignoring Jason Wottring as he furiously left the Gryffindor table. She noticed James come in through the Entrance Doors, scan the room to see who was around, as if weighing up his options, and then join the rest of the Marauders at the other end of the Hall. The morning light caught the wire frames of James's glasses, as well as the amused glint in his hazel eyes. She saw that his sleeves were rolled up as he ran one hand through his hair, making it even messier than it had been. Lily had a theory that he did this to make it look like he'd just stepped off a broomstick.

"Lily! What are you staring at?" Dorcas demanded, craning over the table to see where her friend was looking.

"Huh?" Lily tore her eyes away from James, startled out of her daze, and dropped the orange juice she didn't know she'd picked up into her cereal.

"Now look what you've made me do, Potter!" she grumbled.

"Potter?" Dorcas frowned.

"Huh?" Lily said again as she tried to salvage her cornflakes.

"Lily, what's the matter with you today?"

Lily sighed, giving up on the cornflakes. She stood up from the bench and slung her bag over her shoulder. "I don't know, Dorc. Why don't you ask Potter?"

Dorcas followed her friend along the Gryffindor table. "What?"

"I said, why don't you ask Potter!"

James looked innocently up from his breakfast as Lily swept past. "Me?" he questioned, but she was already gone.

It was the last lesson of the day, and Professor Binns had been droning on for at least forty-five minutes about the causes of the Giant War in 1862. Lily hadn't heard a word, because James Potter would not sit still! He had been fidgeting constantly for a solid fifteen minutes. At first, he had been charming poor Shelley Gwin's curls into pigs' tails, and then, when Lily finally convinced him to stop, he started drumming his wand on the desk. Lily had been close to throttling him when he had eventually drifted off, with his head propped up on his arm.

She considered that he really was rather handsome when he was asleep; perhaps, she could even see why so many girls fancied him, as long as he didn't wake up. Just as she dipped her quill into the ink, ready to start taking notes, his arm buckled and his head fell to the table, right on top of her parchment. His glasses slid down the bridge of his nose, and his body, white shirt stretched over the muscles in his back, shifted closer to Lily. Lily's heart was pounding. She was suddenly itching to run her fingers through his hair.

"Get off," she whispered, choking slightly on her words.

James's dark eyelashes fluttered, and he groggily blinked open his warm, hazel eyes.