Brewing Love

Classes had been in full swing for almost three weeks, and September was drawing to an end. Gryffindor had held their quidditch try-outs, and James had not only made it back on to the team as a chaser, but had also been given the captaincy. McGonagall's decision had been no surprise to anyone, as he was one of the best players that Hogwarts had ever seen. The weather had been surprisingly pleasant all month, but the clouds were due to roll in any day now.

Nevertheless, the warm sun was glowing low over the misty hills that morning, as the Gryffindor and Hufflepuff sixth-years made their way across the grounds to one of the small, pebbly beaches that surrounded the Great Lake. The early morning sunshine spilled through the trees on to the crisp, copper leaves that lay strewn across the ground. Lily could almost smell autumn in the air.

"Morning Evans," James called as he strode past, one hand in his trouser pocket, and one hand in his hair. He looked back over his shoulder, and nodded at Lily before jogging over to his friends. Remus said something quietly to James that made him laugh. 

Lily thought she rather liked the sound. It was deep and rich, vaguely childish, and mischievous. It spread to every inch of his face, lighting up his hazel eyes, and drawing his mouth into a wide, carefree grin. It was most definitely a nice laugh.

She smiled to herself, averting her gaze down to her black school shoes.

"Earth to Evans!" shouted Marlene, waving her hand in front of Lily's face.

Lily was quiet. "He laughs at the most ridiculous things," she said at last. "Potter laughs at the most ridiculous, unfunny things."

Lily looked up at Marlene, and back down at her feet when she saw her friend's raised eyebrows.

"Lily Evans, you're blushing more than you were when you told me about your John Lennon sex dream!"

"It was not a sex dream, Mar! At most it was a...foreplay dream...at most!"

"You didn't deny it! You didn't deny that you're blushing!"

"I'm blushing because you just informed half the year that I had a...dream about John Lennon!"

"A sex dream! And you were totally blushing before that!"

"I was not! I meant it's annoying...it's annoying that he's always laughing. You know, as if he knows something that you don't."

"Oh...okay...right..."

"That's what I meant!"

Marlene turned to Lily, holding her hands above her head, and carried on walking. Lily hurried after her.

When they reached the bank where they had been studying Grindylows for the past week, Lily was still trying to convince her friend that she hated James Potter. Some of their classmates were already knee-deep in the shallow, murky water with nets, attempting to catch one of the sickly green creatures. Sirius had taken off his shirt to make a bandage for his weepy Hufflepuff partner.

"The little buggers have bloody sharp horns!" he said as he wound his shirt around her thigh. She just nodded and collapsed onto his shoulder.

"How pathetic," Marlene muttered.

"Don't do anything I wouldn't do," Lily heard James calling to Sirius from the edge of the lake, where he and Peter were getting a net.

Lily and Marlene walked over to join them on the bank. James was rolling up his sleeves and his trouser legs. The girls started to pull off their socks and shoes.

"Hey Potter, do you remember when you were pulled into Kettleburn's Grindylow tank in third year?" smirked Lily.

"No, actually, I must have managed to block that particular experience out."