Fireworks

Dumbledore strode serenely across the room wearing long, midnight-blue robes and a perfectly calm expression. A powerful feeling of relief rose in Lily's chest. His long, silver beard and hair gleamed in the dim light as he closed in upon an obviously flustered Wanda Lockett. He looked down at her through the half-moon spectacles resting on his very crooked nose. The harsh lines of her skull were illuminated by the fire, but her suddenly cadaverous face was alive with a feverish glow.

"The Aurors have been alerted, Wanda. Tonight you will be escorted to the Ministry, where you will be charged, and sent to Azkaban to await trial," said Dumbledore calmly. Lily wanted to cry out and warn him, scared that he was underestimating Wanda. The witch's eyes bulged, and her lips pursed as her fingers crept along the desk towards her wand, but instead of being hit by Wanda's curse, Dumbledore flicked his wand. The force of the spell that emanated from it was such that Lily felt the hairs on her body stand on end as a shining silver light filled the room. The spell blinded her for a second, but she managed to squint through the light to see Wanda fly backwards into the emerald green flames shivering in the fireplace.

In a moment, Lily had been pulled to her feet, and Dumbledore's crooked nose was inches from her own.

"Are you alright, Miss Evans?"

"Yes," said Lily. "Yeah, I'm- where did- who-"

"Professor Lockett has been sent to the Ministry of Magic," Dumbledore said. His voice was heavy, and his clear blue eyes brimmed with regret. "One of your classmates suggested that I check on you this evening. I had my suspicions, but I must be honest, I never expected this. When I arrived I feared I might be too late. I put you in grave danger, Miss Evans, I hope you can forgive me."

"Was she a follower of You-Know-Who?" Lily asked quietly.

Dumbledore nodded. "Call him Voldemort, Lily. Fear of the name only increases fear of the thing itself. And you mustn't be afraid. While you are at Hogwarts, where you are protected, you are safe. I promise you that."

"I know," Lily smiled softly at the old Professor. "I won't tell anyone what happened," she said, knowing that Dumbledore must be anxious about what the parents would think.

"Thank you, Miss Evans. If you need someone to talk to, about anything at all, you know where my office is." He winked one sparkling blue eye and left the office.

Lily collapsed into the squashy, old armchair, and her heavy head fell onto the soft cushion. She was in the common room. Everything was as it always was. The fire was smouldering, the worn velvet sofas held the dents made by her friends, and the armchair crunched with the detritus of crumpled parchment. But in the silence, in the stillness, a terrible hollow was swelling inside her...something was gnawing on her insides...

She got up and walked over to the open window, trying not to think. There was a cool line of pale blue along the horizon; of course, the sun was only just setting. Lily felt like she had been gone for hours, but her friends were probably still at dinner.

The door to the common room burst open, making Lily jump.

"Did you see Ben at dinner, Dorc?" Mary asked her friend.

"No...I don't think so, but I wasn't really looking," Dorcas replied. "Lily! You're back early!"

"How was your detention with Lockett?" Marlene asked. "Was it awful? What did she make you do?"

Lily hesitated for a second, then said, "Just lines."

Mary groaned sympathetically. "How dull. I thought she might at least come up with something a bit exciting."