Part 1

Keith is finally home from a Blade mission that was meant to only last 2 weeks.  But between problems and more problems, three months later he's finally back. He couldn't be happier yet he's also nervous. He wasn't able to contact anyone on Voltron, even after communications were allowed again. He knows he screwed up again, and on a more personal level, ya he's fucked.

3 months earlier

Keith looks out at the team, "Guys, I know this isn't the best timing. But this Blade mission can really flush out the remaining Galra forces into the open. Not to mention, this is our first lead on Haggar in a year. We cannot pass this up! But we are a team and I've learned my lesson, I won't go unless we are all in agreement." He looks at his team and evens out his breathing.

Everyone is looking at each other, trying to read the room. When unexpectedly, Pidge throws her weight behind Keith's decision. She doesn't look at him directly, rather she looks to Shiro, and says, "If Keith thinks this is worth a shot, then I will back him. Sometimes we have to go with our gut instinct regardless of what our intellect says."

While Keith is a little annoyed that Pidge basically said she thinks he's dumb for wanting to do this, she has thrown her weight behind his choice. There's more arguing and debating but eventually the Paladins agree that he should go and see what he could find out. What makes Keith uncomfortable is the lack of eye contact between him and Pidge.

Later that day, Keith barges into Pidge's room and says, "What is going on with you?" I've been looking for you all day and I seem to be 2 steps behind you ever since our meeting!"

Pidge replies "I didn't know that you wanted to see me, after all you only wanted my opinion in the team meeting and you got it. In fact, why are you here? Don't you have a mission to prepare for?"

"Seriously, don't do this. I thought you were ok with this?!?"

"No Keith, you asked for Pidge the paladin's opinion...you never asked for Katie the girlfriend's opinion."

Keith makes a move for her arm, (misses) and finally slams the door when she make a move to push him out of her room, replying "I didn't realize they were two different opinions."

Pidge glares at him and says "Well, as a paladin I gave you my opinion...with the group which is when I was told about the situation. However, you never said a word yesterday while we were hanging out and relaxing. And if you didn't realize that there were two different viewpoints, you are seriously more clueless than I previously believed."

"Stop implying I am stupid!"

He ends up tackling her to the bed and uses his weight to keep her pinned. This doesn't go over well and Pidge immediately starts to struggle and try to get up. He grabs her arms and puts them over her head, he looks straight at her and says softly, "Look, I'm not used to talking things over with anyone, not even Shiro. I'm not saying that its right but it is why." Then he lowers his forehead to hers, lets go of her hands and pulls her even closer. She can't help but soften, she knows he grew up differently then her and his communication skills are sorely lacking. But I guess he's trying right?

When he starts nuzzling her neck and his hands start to slowly make their way under her shirt she lets him. After all she is going to miss him when he leaves. Since they started this whole dating experience a month ago, they haven't had to spend any real time apart. She's gotten used to him barging into the lab where she works, reminding her to eat or just lounging around she she wasn't alone and realizing she is going to especially miss the closeness she feels when she's around him. It's like they can read each other's minds at times, during a meeting they can share a whole conversation with just an eyebrow raise and shrug. Maybe that's why her feelings were so hurt when he sprung this mission on her? She knows that their time as friends and comrades has made their relationship jump past the initial dating period that most experience. Pidge quickly decides she doesn't want to spend her last hours with Keith fighting but rather enjoy it. She wraps her arms tightly around Keith and breathes in his scent.

Present time

Keith debriefed with a some general or captain. While the information wasn't what he hoped for after all the problems he is just glad that he is home and the didn't lose any members of the trip. He quickly stands after and starts to head out to find Pidge. Acxa grabs his harm and asks if he wants to grab lunch, he quickly shakes his head no and moves on. He doesn't notice that her smile drops at his shrug or that she stares at him until he's gone. However, Krolia doesn't miss a beat. She deliberately crosses her path and mentions to her, "Keith has gone to find Katie, you know the green paladin ...his mate. I wouldn't expect to see him for quite some time." Feeling like she's done what she could, she leaves.

Keith is seriously annoyed. Where the heck is everyone? Finally he finds Matt and grabs his arm.

"Hey man, I just got back, do you know where Katie is? I tried calling but it goes straight to voicemail."

Matt turns and practically growls out "Stay away from her! Haven't you hurt her enough?" Then he shoves Keith back and follows with, "I don't care if you and Shiro are like brothers, he can keep defending you but I'm through!"

Keith simply stares. What the literal fuck? "What the hell are you talking about? I know the mission went way longer than it should have but, I couldn't call her, we were on a black out but the minute I got close I tried calling her! I didn't get through but I sent messages. In fact, I sent messages to everyone! I got nothing!! Did something happen, is she ok??"

Matt stares at him, as if to determine his honesty. Keith stared straight back at him, fists clenched at his sides. Let him look, he had nothing to hide. He felt like he was barely keeping it together. In space, it was easier to put his worries to the side but now that he was back on Earth he was having a hard time keeping it together.

Matt finally nodded and said, "Pidge was in an accident, she's in rehab right now. I'll take you to her."

Keith swore his heart stopped when Matt said accident.