Side Story: A Smile Will Do

Ten year old Kate tried to keep in her tears as she made her way to her new school. 

It hadn't even been a month since her parent's death, yet her sister insisted they moved, forcing Kate to leave everything she had ever known behind. Kate didn't want to make things difficult for her sister by being fussy, but she was finding it hard to control her emotions. Especially with how cold her sister was treating her.

All Kate wanted to do was curl up into a ball and cry, however her circumstances made her unable to.

As Kate entered the noisy classroom, the teacher asked for silence as she introduced her. Throughout her introduction Kate kept silent as she bowed her head. She was afraid that if she spoke, she would begin to cry. It was her first day and she didn't want anyone to think she was weird. 

During break Kate sat silently by herself as she ate, she wasn't in the mood to mingle, so she didn't try to approach anyone. 

And just like that a few days passed by.

It was then that Kate realized that she didn't have any friends. The revelation bothered her, but she wasn't exactly sure what she should do to fix the situation. On one hand, she wanted friends, but on the other hand, she wasn't sure if she wanted to deal with the problems that came with having them.

After her parents' death she had lost her motivation and couldn't find the will do anything.

It was during one of her visits to the bathroom that Kate realized how dire her situation was.

As Kate was about to exit the stall, she heard the voices of some of the girls from her class.

"Hey, what do you think about the new girl?" Lucy asked curiously.

"Who? New girl?" Beatrice replied, slightly confused.

"The one who sits at the back of the class. I think her name was Kate?" Lucy replied.

"The gloomy girl?" Beatrice replied after a moment of realization.

"I wouldn't go as far as saying she's gloomy." Lucy replied with a tone full of disapproval.

"But all she does is sit at her desk with her head down. If that's not gloomy, then I don't know what is." Beatrice replied.

Lucy sighed, "She just moved her, maybe we should invite her to sit with us."

Beatrice chuckled, "Who's going to save you from embarrassment when she turns you down like she did to those other kids."

"She's not going to-" 

"Look. Some people just like being left alone, if gloomy girl wants to be alone, then just leave her be." Beatrice replied forcefully.

"Beatrice!" Lucy exclaimed.

"I'm not offering my friendship to some gloomy girl who probably won't appreciate it." Beatrice said seriously.

"Whatever." Lucy sighed, grumbling, "I was just trying to be nice."

"Yeah, well no one asked you to." Beatrice answered, "Now come on, lets go."

Kate buried her face in her hands as she silently took in their words.

"Gloomy? I'm gloomy?" 

Kate sucked in a breath as she tried to smooth out her emotions.

"Is that how everyone sees me? A gloomy girl who has no friends?

The realization bothered Kate more than she cared to admit.

"But what can I do, it's not like I want to feel this way! It's not like I want to be sad!"

Kate took in a shaky breath as her tears began to fall.

"I....I just want to.....I...just.."

Kate's thoughts were momentarily interrupted by the sound of a stall door being banged shut.

Kate squeezed her eyes shut and hastily wiped away her tears, however she couldn't wipe away the thoughts that plagued her mind.

"I shouldn't cry...It's not like she was lying." Kate fiercely bit her lip, "I'm just too soft. Something so small instantly drives me to tears."

"Does my sister also think I'm gloomy? Is that why she avoids me? Could it be that she doesn't want to spend time with a gloomy girl?"

"If everyone thinks I'm gloomy, then I just need to show them I'm not."  Kate thought, "If I want friends, then I need to be upbeat and cheerful. I can't continue to mope around."

With that thought in mind, Kate left the stall and headed towards the sink where she washed her hands and face. When she looked in the mirror, her eyes were slightly red, but there was nothing Kate could do about it, so she ignored it. 

Kate sighed as she resisted the intense urge to look herself back up in the bathroom stall.

Kate bit her lip as she stared at her reflection, "I just need to smile."

Kate sighed, her eyes were blurred with tears, "It's just a smile Kate, no need to cry."

"A simple smile will do." 

Kate forced a smile as she stared at her reflection.

"Even if I don't wan't to, I'll smile." Kate thought as she stared at her smiling reflection, "life waits for no one, and it certainly won't wait for me."