Chapter 24

Ever since they turned ten years old, Camellia noticed that her mother would often invite them to have tea parties in their flower garden. Camellia didn't mind as it meant that she got to spend more time with her mother, but it soon became apparent that these tea parties were more than a simple get-together.

It was around this age that most nobles in their kingdom would begin introducing their children to high society. Before they turned ten, most nobles would limit who their children interacted with. Often times, before they turned ten, most nobles would only introduce their children to their extended family or to the children of close friends.

Camellia knew that soon she would be attending tea parties and meeting the children of other nobles, but somehow she was finding it a bit hard to imagine. She had even seen a few invitations address to her and her sister, but somehow it didn't feel real.

"Is the something on your mind dear?" Amelia asked as she placed her hand on Camellia's back, gently straightening her posture.

"Oh...um.." Camellia flushed at being caught daydreaming, "um..nothing is wrong. I was just thinking."

"Alright dear," Amelia hummed, "Just remember that you can't space out this way during an event."

Camellia lowered her head, idly stirring her tea, "Yes mother."

"Don't worry mother," Carmine smiled proudly, "I'll look out for her"

Amelia smiled as she reached out to fix Carmine's hair that was determined to be free from her headband, "As much as I would love that, I'd prefer if you both look out for each other."

Camellia raised her head and looked at her mother thoughtful, while Carmine furrowed her eyebrows.

Softly twiddling with her thumbs, Camellia mumbled, "But it's not like she needs me to."

"Camellia." Amelia gently admonished. "You shouldn't-"

"Mother, do you know when father will be back?" Carmine cut in nervously.

Amelia slowly blinked as she processed what had just been said. With furrowed brows she replied, "It's impolite to interrupt someone's sentence like that Carmine."

"Sorry." Carmine apologized sheepishly.

Amelia thoughtfully regarded Carmine before she decided to let it go for now.

"Your father should be returning soon." Amelia sighed, "The bandits at the border have been out of control lately, that's all it is."

Camellia sighed in relief before promptly clearing her throat to hide her embarrassment.

"I miss father." Camellia says quietly, causing Carmine to nod in agreement.

"And I'm sure he misses the both of you as well." Amelia took a sip of her tea, "With hope, this won't become a yearly occurrence."

"Isn't it just bandits? Once they're dealt with, how can they come back again next year?" Carmine questioned.

"Well," Amelia pursed her lips together in thought, "It's a little more complicated than that."

Gazing at the two of them, Amelia continued, "How much do you know about our kingdom and its neighbors?"

Camellia blanched, obviously not expecting this impromptu question. Truthfully, Camellia felt that she knew a decent amount about her kingdom, but it was as if the sudden question shocked all related knowledge from her brain, leaving her with no answers.

"Um...I know that we're rich." Carmine answered with a shrug.

"While that is true, it's a little more complicated than that." Amelia laughed, "I guess a little lesson wouldn't hurt."

As Camellia listened to her mother explain, she felt a bit relieved that she hadn't said anything earlier. The things she knew seemed superficial compared what her mother had to say.

The kingdom of Klein is currently the oldest existing kingdom on the continent. Their people put great emphasis on martial arts, elemental ability, and talent. These combined factors are often taken into consideration when determining the next head of noble families. It would be hard to find a person in the Kingdom of Klein who did not excel in either of the above mentioned arts.

In comparison, the kingdom of Etherion focused on wealth. Often times the wealthier the family, the more power they held. Over time the wealth of most upper class nobles exceeded an amount that could simply be counted in coins. This is because most of the original noble families ancestors were traveling merchants who decided to settle on these lands.

The kingdom of Pethen is a fairly new kingdom that was founded by shipwrecked travelers from another continent. The cultures of Klein and Etherion were far too different from their homeland and they couldn't adjust, so in the end, they founded their own Kingdom.

"Sooo," Carmine hummed thoughtfully, "What I'm hearing is...if I visit the kingdom of Klein, I'll meet really strong people?"

Camellia couldn't restrain her giggles.

"What?" Carmine smiled, "Wouldn't it be really cool to visit and see?"

"If you to know what Klein is like, you can ask your father when he returns."

Camellia's eyebrows shot up, "Father is from Klein?"

Carmine tucked away a stray curl of hair as she stared intensely at Amelia, "If he's from Klein, why does he live here?"

Amelia raised a brow, "Where else do you expect him to live?"

"No," Carmine huffed, "I mean, why did he leave Klein and come to Etherion?"

Amelia's smile dimmed, "That's something you would have to ask your father."

Sensing her mother's shift in mood, Camellia gently butted into the conversation, "So why would the bandits attack yearly?"

Amelia sighed, "Ever since the current king of Pethen claimed the throne, their kingdom has been going through bouts of economic instability."

"Economic instability?" Camellia questioned.

"It means that it's hard for their people to find money for food and housing."

"Then...they turn to banditry because they can't afford to live?" Carmine questioned in confusion.

"Although that is not always the case, it is the reason for the current rise in bandits." Amelia concluded.

"Isn't there anyway to help them?" Camellia questioned.

"Unfortunately, this is something only the current king of Pethen can fix."

Camellia opened her mouth to say something, but after a moment of hesitation, she chose not to say anything.

Carmine pushed some cookies in front of Camellia, "Here, cheer up. Maybe things will get better soon. Their king is new, maybe he just doesn't know what he's doing yet."

Camellia smiled and accepted the cookie.

"Alright," Amelia smiled as she readjusted her teacup, "Let's continue with the tea party."