The Deciding Factor

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Part Eighteen - The Deciding Factor <<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Several days passed before she heard anything more. It was a Friday. She stumbled up the stairs to her front door. Luis bounced along behind her.

"Wasn't it such a great day!" He brushed his curly mop out of his eyes.

"Por qué?" She raised her eyebrows. "Hoy was terrible."

"Que? How can you say that?"

Thoughts flashed through her mind. Getting told off, feeling like she had joined the walking dead. Not to mention her friends being sick, and sitting alone at lunch. Of course, Trey had to come and be a royal pain in the bum. He -

"Oye, Carlotta, you alright?" Next thing she knew, she was standing inside the hallway, Luis shaking her shoulders.

"I-... No. I feel terrible."

He looked her over, surprised. "Why? Come on. Surely there's something to smile about."

She raised her eyebrows and folded her arms. "Uf... Let me see... Nothing." She swept past him, storming through to her room.

(-)-(-)(-)-(-)(-)-(-)(-)-(-)(-)-(-)(-)-(-)(-)-(-)(-)-(-)

Throwing her bag down, she flopped onto the bed and lay down with her hands over her eyes. The half-open blinds created stripes of light on her face, courtesy of the half-obscured late afternoon sun.

Today had been horrible — one of the worst days she had had so far.

Why? Why did it have to happen to her, of all people? Why?

Carlotta's eyes began to become watery, and a tear slid down her cheek. She sighed, letting them fall.

But... In spite of everything... There was light at the end of the tunnel.

Papa had arrived back home yesterday. She had seen him and Mama discussing something in hushed tones several times.

She could only hope the decision was made in her favour.

(-)-(-)(-)-(-)(-)-(-)(-)-(-)(-)-(-)(-)-(-)(-)-(-)(-)-(-)

Tears began streaming down her face, and she had to fight the urge to wipe her face. Because if she did, she'd start crying even more.

"Estas bien, mi vida?" Mama looked at her in concern.

"Si, yo am fine, Mama. The onions, that's all."

She nodded and smiled, but there was a feeling that she couldn't shake.

Something was troubling her daughter.

(-)-(-)(-)-(-)(-)-(-)(-)-(-)(-)-(-)(-)-(-)(-)-(-)(-)-(-)

They were halfway through dinner, and no-one had said anything.

Carlotta couldn't stand it anymore. "Por favor, can we talk about something? Es too silent!"

Everyone stopped and stared. Finally, Luis burst out laughing and clapped her on the back.

"I was wondering when you'd say that, Carla. You don't like silence."

Everyone laughed, and when it died down, she looked timidly at her parents. "Mama? Papa?"

"Si, mi vida? What is it?" Papa smiled, putting down his fork.

"Have you... thought about... erm... que yo meant was..."

"I think she's trying to say have you decided anything on the music camp yet." He glanced at her. For once, she smiled, not lashing out at him for finishing her sentence.

"Oh... I see."

They exchanged glances, and Carlotta's heart went to her throat. No. Surely...

"Let us finish dinner. We'll discuss it over desert."

(-)-(-)(-)-(-)(-)-(-)(-)-(-)(-)-(-)(-)-(-)(-)-(-)(-)-(-)

She couldn't stand it any longer. She threw down her spoon, and pushed the chair back from the table, standing up.

"What is it?" Papa looked up, surprised.

"I... You're keeping me en the dark! Please tell me what's going on."

"What do you mean?"

"Madre de dios, the music camp!" For the first time in ages, Luis lost his temper. He leaned back in his chair, his hands over his face.

"Luis, enough." Mama silenced him with one look. "Don't swear."

"Carina, we realise you're feeling impatient, but you must realise... These things take time to decide."

"We were keeping with our promise. We were going to tell you." Papa tried to smile.

"Please sit down, Carla."

(-)-(-)(-)-(-)(-)-(-)(-)-(-)(-)-(-)(-)-(-)(-)-(-)(-)-(-)

Face turning white, and her body began to shake. The world became blurred. She couldn't see properly. What was happening?

How could this be true?

How could they? How could they do this to her?

"Why? Why not?"

"Carina, please-"

"You're so mean! You won't let me go! You-"

"Carina, if you'd only listen-"

"What you've said is enough." She stared at them both, eyes glittering.

How dare they. How dare they.

"Por favor, calm down-"

"You expect me to calm down! You have no idea how much this means-" She slammed a fist down on the table. Everyone jumped, and Mama went white.

"Carla-"

"Don't expect calling me that can soften the impact! I-"

"Carlotta!" Mama stood up and sighed. "Go to your room. You're a danger to yourself and others when you're like this."

She threw down her fork and stormed out of the room.