A Crush

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Part Thirteen - A Crush <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Carlotta arrived in class moments before the bell rang. She collapsed into her desk chair, the wood making a loud creak.

Sophie was already there, and she looked up when she heard the noise.

"G'day, Carlotta," She said, grinning. "Right on schedule, as usual."

"Hola, how are you?"

"Eh, not too bad. Yourself?"

"Bien."

Sophie nodded and buried her nose in something she was holding in her hands. Carlotta wondered what it was, but didn't let it worry her.

Miss Barrowside walked into the room and gave her usual greeting.

"Good Morning, 9B."

"Good morning, Miss Barrowside."

Her face broke into a lovely smile, and she walked over to her desk, sitting at it. Shuffling some papers on her desk, she pulled out the roll, and thus, the school morning routine began.

(-)-(-)(-)-(-)(-)-(-)(-)-(-)(-)-(-)(-)-(-)(-)-(-)(-)-(-)

"You'll never guess what Granny did last night!"

Sophie and Carlotta were headed towards the cafeteria, Sophie telling her family's latest escapade. She was using wild gestures and almost took out a young boy in the hallway.

"Then, she decided that she would-"

"Sophie!" Carlotta cried, and she stopped talking.

"Tell me when we sit down. You will hurt someone!"

"Well, it's not my fault!" Sophie said, grinning. "They have to watch where they're going."

"No, you must not do that!"

"Hey, chill! It was just a joke!" Sophie cried, holding up her hands in defeat.

Carlotta calmed down and smiled. "Bien, let us get snack."

(-)-(-)(-)-(-)(-)-(-)(-)-(-)(-)-(-)(-)-(-)(-)-(-)(-)-(-)

Arriving at the Cafeteria, Sophie didn't waste any time. Without another word, she rushed off to secure a place in the line, waiting for food.

Carlotta smiled, watching her rush off. As she always brought her lunch to school, she had no need to purchase anything from the cafeteria.

So, instead, she walked towards the table she usually sat at.

Though, when she reached it, someone else was already there.

(-)-(-)(-)-(-)(-)-(-)(-)-(-)(-)-(-)(-)-(-)(-)-(-)(-)-(-)

"Hayden?" She asked, confused.

Hayden was sitting at the table, alone. He was eating a slightly unripe banana, and had a stack of papers to one side, with a binder on top. He had a calculator, and between bites, he was writing something on a piece of paper.

At the sound of her voice, he looked up, and his harried face melted into a soft smile.

"Hey, Carla. Have I stolen your spot?"

"Er, no. But why are you here?"

"Oh, the guys are going to a family reunion."

"Ay, that is good. What about the cousin?"