Harry sat in front of Robards' desk, tapping his index finger against his trousers. Robards watched him without trying to hide it. Harry stared right back. Robards barely blinked. Was the bloke even human? Harry adjusted his glasses. Were they just going to sit here in silence? Wasn't there supposed to be a meeting going on? What was-

A knock interrupted his thoughts. He looked at the door over his shoulder.

"Come in," Robards said.

The Minister of Magic and his good friend, Kingsley Shacklebolt, walked in.

Harry got to his feet and shook the wizard's hand.

"Potter, it's good to see you," Kingsley said, sitting in the other chair.

"You too." Harry sat as well. "How've you been?" As the Minister answered, Harry leaned back in his chair and looked at him. If he was here, the importance of this meeting jumped up a few notches. That spelled trouble and more paperwork.

"Would you like to begin, Robards?" Kingsley asked, drawing Harry's attention.

Robards leaned forward and folded his hands. "Certainly, Minister." He patted a beige file on the desk. "We have an assignment for you, and when it's completed, I'll be handing in my resignation." He touched another blue file.

"Resignation?" Harry asked, eyes widening. "Really? And do what?" Retirement and Robards didn't belong in the same sentence.

His boss shrugged. "It doesn't matter. It's time for me to step down and give someone else a shot."

"Well, it's your decision," Harry admitted, rubbing his chin. Who would succeed the man? Robards has been the Head Auror for years. The position came with a great deal of responsibility. It wasn't an easy position, never would be. Whoever took up the mantel needed to be prepared for whatever came their way.

"After you've finished this assignment, I would like you to take the position as Head Auror," Robards said.

Harry stared. Him, Head Auror? They had to be joking. He looked between them. Neither laughed. His heart sped up. He gulped then licked his lips. He pushed his glasses up. "I don't think so."

Both frowned.

"Why not?" Kingsley asked.

"Are you declining the position?" Robards crossed his arms and leaned back in his chair.

"I mean-" Harry stopped, rubbed the back of his neck and looked away from them. His gaze fell on the bookshelf to his right. He watched their reflections in a frame. It didn't sound like a good idea. Head Auror? Was he even qualified for such a position? There were plenty of others who were better qualified than him. Had certain skills he didn't. "I don't think I'm the right fit."

"Why would you think that?" Kingsley looked at him, forehead furrowed.

"I'm just an Auror. I don't want-" He cleared his throat. "My time's passed. I just want to do my job. That's it." That's all he ever wanted to do. Make the world a safer place. Bad things happened to him, happened in the past to the Wizarding world. They deserved a break. He wanted to help, any way he could, to make that happen.

But not like this.

Robards' lips twitched, and he shook his head. "Potter, we're not offering you this because of what you did during the Second War. We're offering it to you because you're the best damn Auror we have. You're quick, intelligent and have the best track record. You're great at your job, and we would be honored for you to accept the position but only after the assignment has been completed."