Chapter Seven: Non-Quirk Combat Training Pt. 1

Start from the beginning

       I retrieve my jacket and tie it around my waist. There's nothing worse than trying to slip on an article of clothing while covered in sweat.

       "Hey Y/N," the now familiar voice of Shindo calls out. "Let's eat lunch together."

       I hesitate, looking at the blond-haired hot head. Lie for me. Tell him we already had plans to eat together. I want to eat with you not him. When he doesn't interject I smile politely. "Sure. Let's go see what they're serving in the cafeteria."

Shindo decides on the curry while I pick out an assortment of sushi and a bowl of furikake rice. Turning around with my tray in hand I start looking for a table. There are some open seats with Bakugo and the guys but Yo starts to walk to a table by the window that only allows for two people to sit.
It's not like Katsuki wanted to eat lunch with me anyway. I follow behind. He sets his tray down and pulls my chair out for me.

       "So I've been wanting to ask you about your Quirk," Shindo says, taking his seat. "I saw that you disappeared and created a double of yourself, but what else can you do?"

       I finish chewing the spicy tuna roll I stuffed into my mouth like a starving animal and chase it down with a sip of water. "Well, my Quirk is called Smoke. I can manipulate my body's molecular structure to resemble that of smoke which allows me to move undetected. It took a while to get my smoke to be near invisible. I can create a smoke screen, well more like a very dense vapor screen by manipulating the moisture in the air."

       "That's awesome!" He beams, shoveling his curry into his mouth like it's going out of style.

       I take a quick bite of rice and shove a nigiri onto my tongue. "I've been working on changing the properties of my smoke as well. With more practice I'll be able to make a sleeping gas-like vapor. My costume has a built in mouth piece that will allow me to inhale water vapors to not only fuel my Quirk but to allow the manipulations to be stronger and easier to produce."

       His eyes widen and he looks almost as excited as Izuku was the day after my uncle and I fought. He asked a million and one questions and wrote down everything I told him in a composition notebook.

       "You all got to see my smoke double the other night," I continue. "It takes a lot of out of me, but once I master it I should be able to create two or three at a time and be able to move them around fluidly."

       "It's the perfect Quirk for stealth and diversion," Shindo points out. "How do you train your Quirk?"

       I hate answering that question. People always judge when I tell them. "I have this vape-like inhaler of sorts. I can change out the cartridges so that I can familiarize myself with different consistencies of smoke. I usually only train with it in private though. People tend to ask a lot of questions when they see an underage girl smoking.'"

       He nods his head. "Makes sense."

       The rest of lunch we talk about this and that, a lot of topics unrelated to training and Quirks in general. Movies, music, books and more. It's simple.

       When we get back to Gym Gamma Bakugo won't even look at me. He still stays next to me though.

       After an hour, the teachers start walking around. A few of the groups are still struggling, but most everyone has picked up on the basics. The teachers allow a few of the more advanced pairs to start incorporating Quirks into the fray of the various punches, kicks and lobbed elbows. By the end of the school day most everyone is ready to nap where they stand. I just want to soak in the tub.

       "Tomorrow we will warm up with these same exercises and then put you in your groups of four," Mr. Aizawa says, sounding a little too happy. Knowing him, he's probably over-the-moon ecstatic at the lack of supervision he'll be required to do when we all get back to the dorm. "You will start off in a sort of meditation with the bracelets to try to sense when your Quirk is nullified, then we will work on combat. By the end of the week you will all fight one-on-one with a teacher to test what you've learned. Class dismissed."

       "Make sure you drink a lot of water and get well rested for tomorrow," Ms. Joke sings. Tired groans are the most response she gets.

       "Y/N," Bakugo says, sneaking up on me while making my way out the door. "Walk with me back to the dorms."

       "Y/N," Uncle Ai calls out. He holds a white envelope in his hand. "This came for you earlier today."

       I look at the information scribbled in the top left-hand corner. It's a letter from my old classmate Harrison. I feel my eyebrows knit together. Sure we had five out of eight classes together back in middle school, but we didn't talk much. He got into the same high school as me, but he was in the general studies course so we never saw each other.

       "Everything okay?" Bakugo tries to conceal the concern in his voice.

       I fold the envelope and slip it into my pocket. "Yeah." I make my best pretend smile as we walk toward 1A Alliance and he doesn't press any further.

       How does he know I go to UA now? More importantly, what possessed him to write me?